White Bean Turkey Chili
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Cook: 65 min.
- 1-1/2 pounds lean ground turkey
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 1-1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 3 cups beef broth
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon baking cocoa
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3 cans (15 ounces each) cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- In a Dutch oven or large soup kettle, cook the turkey and onions over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Add oregano and cumin; cook and stir 1 minute longer. Stir in tomatoes, broth, tomato sauce, chili powder, cocoa, bay leaves, salt and cinnamon. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 45 minutes. Add beans; heat through. Discard bay leaves.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 276 calories, 6g fat (1g saturated fat), 45mg cholesterol, 948mg sodium, 34g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 13g fiber), 22g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 2 lean meat.
Jan 25, 2020
Pretty good and hearty. I used diced roasted turkey breast. Also used three kinds of canned white beans, cannellini, navy and garbanzo.
Sep 12, 2013
This will now be our families Staple Chili recipe.
Jan 11, 2010
We made the following additions to the above ingredients: ½ Large Yellow Pepper, 1 TB Sugar, 1 tsp Red Pepper (Cayenne) see note below, 1 TB Garlic (jarred), 3 TB Chili Powder and 1 (7 oz.) Smoked Turkey Sausage (finely chopped in mini-food processor).We did not put in the Cinnamon. We don't like Cinnamon in our chili. We replaced one can of the white kidney / cannellini beans with a can of dark red kidney beans. NOTE: It was a little too hot for my wife. We will add less red pepper and chili powder in the next making.It was great!!