White Bean Chicken Stew
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 20 min.
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 4 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 cans (15-1/2 ounces each) great northern beans, rinsed and drained
- 1-1/4 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/4 cup cold water
- 2 cups cubed cooked chicken breast
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- In a large saucepan, saute the onion, jalapeno and garlic in oil until tender. Add the broth, beans and cumin. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10-15 minutes or until heated through.
- Combine cornstarch and water until smooth; stir into stew. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Add chicken and parsley; heat through.
Editor's NoteWear disposable gloves when cutting hot peppers; the oils can burn skin. Avoid touching your face.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 243 calories, 4g fat (1g saturated fat), 36mg cholesterol, 785mg sodium, 27g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 8g fiber), 23g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 lean meat, 1-1/2 starch, 1 vegetable.
Jan 18, 2014
This was a very good, simple recipe. However, I would not consider it a stew, much more of a thick soup or mild white chili.
Sep 26, 2010
This was an amazing soup!! Our whole family really enjoyed this flavorable soup!!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.