White Bean Chicken Stew
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 20 min.
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 4 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 cans (15-1/2 ounces each) great northern beans, rinsed and drained
- 1-1/4 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/4 cup cold water
- 2 cups cubed cooked chicken breast
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- In a large saucepan, saute the onion, jalapeno and garlic in oil until tender. Add the broth, beans and cumin. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10-15 minutes or until heated through.
- Combine cornstarch and water until smooth; stir into stew. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Add chicken and parsley; heat through.
Editor's NoteWear disposable gloves when cutting hot peppers; the oils can burn skin. Avoid touching your face.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 243 calories, 4g fat (1g saturated fat), 36mg cholesterol, 785mg sodium, 27g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 8g fiber), 23g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 lean meat, 1-1/2 starch, 1 vegetable.
Oct 21, 2018
Delicious and simple. Very thick.
Jan 18, 2014
This was a very good, simple recipe. However, I would not consider it a stew, much more of a thick soup or mild white chili.
Sep 26, 2010
This was an amazing soup!! Our whole family really enjoyed this flavorable soup!!