Veggie Black Bean Stew
Total TimePrep: 5 min. Cook: 50 min.
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 1/2 cup each chopped celery, carrot and sweet red pepper
- 1/4 cup dry sherry or reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 3 cans (15 ounces each) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 4 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 cup minced fresh cilantro
- 5 tablespoons shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 5 tablespoons reduced-fat sour cream
- 2 tablespoons chopped green onion
- In a Dutch oven over medium-high heat, cook the onions, celery, carrot and red pepper in sherry and oil until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Add the beans, can of broth, tomatoes, tomato paste, honey, chili powder, cumin and oregano. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 40 minutes.
- Stir in the cilantro; simmer 5-15 minutes longer or until stew is thickened. Garnish with cheese, sour cream and green onion.
Nutrition Facts1-1/2 cups: 385 calories, 7g fat (3g saturated fat), 11mg cholesterol, 922mg sodium, 61g carbohydrate (18g sugars, 15g fiber), 19g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 vegetable, 2-1/2 starch, 2 lean meat, 1 fat.
May 15, 2014
Awesome stew! This was my first stew-making experience ever, and I made some mistakes, but It still turned out incredible! I'm stuffed.
Dec 25, 2010
First, I doubled the recipe since it was for a Christmas dinner. I, too, did a mix of beans. I used 4 cans of black beans, 1 can of black eyed peas and 1 can of white beans for a variety. It went over really well! I like that you have the cheese and sour cream on the side so that each person can as much as they personally like in this kind of meal.
Sep 19, 2010
This has a great combination of flavors. Very interesting contrast to a black bean chili. I did substitute a can of pinto beans for one can of black beans to vary the textures.
Dec 9, 2009
This recipe is so easy. I made it vegetarian by using veggie broth instead of chicken broth. I also added NM Hatch green chiles. YUMMY!