Vegetarian Black Bean Soup
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 20 min.
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) vegetable broth, divided
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup diced peeled potato
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 2 green onions, sliced
- In a large saucepan, bring the onion, garlic and 1/4 cup broth to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 6-8 minutes or until onion is tender. Stir in the beans, potato, thyme, cumin and remaining broth; return to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20-25 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
- Stir in tomatoes and hot pepper sauce; heat through. Sprinkle with green onions.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 173 calories, 2g fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 818mg sodium, 30g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 10g fiber), 10g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch, 1 lean meat.
Nov 9, 2013
My sister made this for me because I didn't know if I liked black beans or not. I do. They aren't my favorite food, but I like them enough to make this soup for myself.
Nov 9, 2013
I have made this soup several times and love it. However, I added more hot sauce, a small can of black olives, and a small can of sliced mushrooms. I think it would be good with some fresh portabello mushrooms instead.
Nov 7, 2013
I have made other black bean soup recipes, but I keep coming back to this one. It is my all-time favorite. I sometimes put shredded chicken and a drained small can (or fresh) mushrooms in it. The flavor is wonderful!
Jan 24, 2011
I would add more hot sauce and more green onion. Good soup!
Jul 25, 2010
Tastey but not memorable.
Nov 5, 2009
This was a totally awesome,quick and yummy hot soup !!Nettie
Mar 30, 2009
You can substitute sweet potato for the regular potato with equally tasty results.