Vegetarian Black Bean Soup
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 20 min.
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) vegetable broth, divided
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup diced peeled potato
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 2 green onions, sliced
- In a large saucepan, bring the onion, garlic and 1/4 cup broth to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 6-8 minutes or until onion is tender. Stir in the beans, potato, thyme, cumin and remaining broth; return to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20-25 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
- Stir in tomatoes and hot pepper sauce; heat through. Sprinkle with green onions.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 173 calories, 2g fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 818mg sodium, 30g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 10g fiber), 10g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch, 1 lean meat.
Nov 9, 2013
My sister made this for me because I didn't know if I liked black beans or not. I do. They aren't my favorite food, but I like them enough to make this soup for myself.
Nov 9, 2013
I have made this soup several times and love it. However, I added more hot sauce, a small can of black olives, and a small can of sliced mushrooms. I think it would be good with some fresh portabello mushrooms instead.
Nov 7, 2013
I have made other black bean soup recipes, but I keep coming back to this one. It is my all-time favorite. I sometimes put shredded chicken and a drained small can (or fresh) mushrooms in it. The flavor is wonderful!
Jan 24, 2011
I would add more hot sauce and more green onion. Good soup!
Jul 25, 2010
Tastey but not memorable.
Nov 5, 2009
This was a totally awesome,quick and yummy hot soup !!Nettie
Mar 30, 2009
You can substitute sweet potato for the regular potato with equally tasty results.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.