Hearty Black Bean Soup
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Cook: 9 hours
- 3 medium carrots, halved and thinly sliced
- 2 celery ribs, thinly sliced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 can (30 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) reduced-sodium chicken broth or vegetable broth
- 1 can (15 ounces) crushed tomatoes
- 1-1/2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- Hot cooked rice
- In a 3-qt. slow cooker, combine the first 12 ingredients. Cover and cook on low for 9-11 hours or until vegetables are tender. Serve with rice.
Nutrition Facts1 cup (calculated without rice): 129 calories, 0 fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 627mg sodium, 24g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 6g fiber), 8g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch, 1 lean meat.
Apr 27, 2018
This soup had great flavor. We served it on rice night one. Couple nights later I cooked up some rigatoni and served it over that.
Sep 18, 2016
I had some bone broth to use so I made a double batch of this soup. Greatly enjoyed the flavors of the spices. Doubled the black beans. Instead of serving with rice, I added the rice (black rice) to the soup. Hearty, for sure and very delicious. Looking forward to having it again!
Oct 26, 2013
Loved this! I used dried beans but didn't change anything else. The cumin gave it great authentic flavor! I will definitely save this recipe for future use!
Nov 1, 2010
So, how is it that black bean soup has no fiber?
Apr 19, 2010
My family loved this recipe. The only thing i changed was the garlic, i used two cloves instead of four. I served it with wild rice and it was very delicious!
Apr 11, 2010
We love this soup! The crockpot makes it so easy and nice to come home to on a cold day! I modify it by using dried beans I soak overnight, and I usually double it so it lasts a few days. Yummy!