Beef & Black Bean Soup
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Cook: 6 hours
Makes10 servings (2-1/2 quarts)
- 1 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) chicken broth
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 8 green onions, thinly sliced
- 3 medium carrots, thinly sliced
- 2 celery ribs, thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1-1/2 cups cooked rice
- In a skillet over medium heat, cook beef until no longer pink; drain. Transfer to a 5-qt. slow cooker. Add the next 12 ingredients. Cover and cook on high for 1 hour. Reduce heat to low; cook until vegetables are tender, 4-5 hours. Add the beans and rice; cook until heated through, about 1 hour longer.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 203 calories, 4g fat (2g saturated fat), 28mg cholesterol, 630mg sodium, 26g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 5g fiber), 16g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 lean meat, 1 starch, 1 vegetable.
Jun 12, 2019
I'm not a spicy person, but I thought this would be! Actually it was way to calm, not spicy at all! I like the ingredients, so I think I'll change up the spices and give it a second chance.
Mar 28, 2018
I used ground turkey seasoned with black pepper, cajun, & all purpose seasonings. I didn't use the sugar. I didn't add the cooked rice to the pot so it could be optional added to individual soup bowls. I only used 1/4 tsp cumin. Was excellent!
Nov 3, 2015
Tasty, but needs so more spices in my opinion.
Apr 17, 2014
Delicious! I put this in the slow cooker and my girls ate it for dinner and supper. My husband was gone and asked me to save some for him. There was none left.
Oct 8, 2012
This is a long-time family favorite. It is easily modified for both vegetarian and vegan lifestyles, and substituting whole grain wild rice makes it an even healthier "warm up from the inside" meal.
Jun 13, 2011
My grandson asks me to make this soup. It is a favourite.
Dec 17, 2010
This is a great soup recipe. I have made many times. I also made with veg broth for my vegetarian girls.
Jan 25, 2010
This is very good and not too long to fix. The first time I made this just as the recipe said. Tonight I left the rice and celery out,much much better
Jan 3, 2010
Liked the original recipe, my girls didn't mind it but when I made it the second time I used Vegetable broth instead of chicken(all I had) and thyme instead of basil and oregano!! My girls absolutely LOVE IT better then the original recipe.They request it all the time and love to take it to school!
Nov 3, 2009
Delicious and full-flavored. Great with homemade whole wheat bread.