Black-Eyed Pea Sausage Stew
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 30 min.
- 1 package (16 ounces) smoked sausage links, halved lengthwise and sliced
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) black-eyed peas, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon Cajun seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1-1/2 cups frozen corn, thawed
- In a Dutch oven or soup kettle, cook sausage and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the peas, tomatoes, tomato sauce, broth and seasonings.
- Cook and stir for 10-12 minutes or until hot and bubbly. Stir in corn; cook 5 minutes longer or until heated through.
Nutrition Facts1-1/2 cups: 346 calories, 21g fat (7g saturated fat), 48mg cholesterol, 1378mg sodium, 25g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 4g fiber), 16g protein.
Feb 29, 2012
I used browned chicken sausage, doubled the tomatoes-using crushed, and canned corn. Used homemade cajun seasoning. It needed more seasoning than the recipe stated. Our church members loved it.
Oct 30, 2010
I've made this several times. It is even better the next day. We like it with cornbread and a slice of onion on the side. Fast and filling :)
Nov 28, 2008
This is good, considering the dish is so fast and easy to put together!
Nov 12, 2008
So easy to make and so good too. My husband said it's the best soup he's ever had. It's his new favorite meal (served with fried cornbread) when he comes in from hunting.
Apr 20, 2008
I just made this stew...wow!