Black-Eyed Pea Chowder
A close friend passed on this recipe. It's been in her family for years, and now it's a favorite in ours, too (my husband and I have an 11-year-old son). In fact, we've turned having Black-Eyed Pea Chowder into a New Year's tradition at our house For a large crowds, I've sometimes doubled the recipe. Everyone that I've made it for has enjoyed it. I even have a friend who doesn't like black-eyed peas but loves the chowder.
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 1 pound bacon strips
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped green pepper
- 2 cans (16 ounces each) black-eyed peas, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (10-1/2 ounces) beef consomme
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) stewed tomatoes
- In a large saucepan, cook bacon until crisp. Remove bacon; crumble and set aside. Discard all but 2 tablespoons of drippings; saute the celery, onion and green pepper until tender. Add bacon and remaining ingredients; heat through.