Creamy Sausage Stew
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 1-1/4 hours
- 8 to 10 medium red potatoes, cut into 1-1/2-inch pieces
- 2 large white onions, quartered
- 1 large green pepper, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 large sweet red pepper, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 pounds smoked Polish sausage, cut into 1-inch slices
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 pint heavy whipping cream
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 3 tablespoons water
- Place potatoes in a 5-qt. roasting pan. Add onions, peppers and sausage; toss gently. Combine oil, basil, salt and pepper. Pour over the eat and vegetables; toss well.
- Cover and bake at 350° for 45 minutes; stir. Add the cream; cover and bake 30-40 minutes longer or until potatoes are tender.
- Combine cornstarch and water; stir into stew. Place on stovetop and bring to a boil, stirring constantly until thickened.
Nutrition Facts1-1/2 cups: 507 calories, 41g fat (18g saturated fat), 108mg cholesterol, 1056mg sodium, 21g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 2g fiber), 12g protein.
Nov 19, 2016
I made this recipe when it first came out in the magazine back in 1995. I made it steadily for about 10 years. My large family always loved it growing up. Now I make it for my husband and our little girl. He loves sausage and I like how creamy this stew is. It also easy & quick to make, and the ingredients are simple. A five-star winner for us!
Jan 8, 2015
Very simple to make. We enjoyed this although I had to cut in half!
Feb 8, 2014
The whole family loved it.
Nov 26, 2013
It has become a recipe I use often! Love how easy it is to prepare and the flavors are fantastic!
Feb 13, 2012
We love this recipe! I use only 1 pound of lite sausage and I use fat-free half & half instead of heavy cream. I recently adapted the recipe to use the crockpot. Roasted the meat/veggies as usual, then transferred them to a crockpot. Cooked them a couple of hours on Low, then added the cream and cooked 1 hour longer on Low. Then I stirred the cornstarch mixture right into the crockpot and everything worked out well. (I did this because I wanted to be able to take the stew to a church potluck and have it be cooking during church.) I've been making this recipe for years and we always enjoy it.
Sep 22, 2011
This is a recipe my family has enjoyed many times over the past 10 years or so. Delicious and one of our favorite fall meals.
Jan 23, 2009
I am shocked this recipe won. After reading the reviews I thought I would try it. My family was so disappointed. I think the first review is missing some good recipes if this is a favorite. Sorry but not for me.
Oct 22, 2008
This stew is so delicious. We got it from taste of home at least 10 years ago and never tire of it.. A little rich but oh so good.
Dec 30, 2007
Very easy assembly and down home cooking feel on a cold winters day. I to cut recipe in half with excellent results.
Dec 29, 2007
This is an incredibly good-tasting stew, although since there are only two of us, I cut it in half. Also, my husband likes things in smaller pieces, so I cut them up accordingly. I also use half heavy cream and half half-and half.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.