Creamy Chicken & Broccoli Stew
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 6 hours
- 8 bone-in chicken thighs, skin removed (about 3 pounds)
- 1 cup Italian salad dressing
- 1/2 cup white wine or chicken broth
- 6 tablespoons butter, melted, divided
- 1 tablespoon dried minced onion
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 3/4 teaspoon pepper, divided
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 2 cups frozen broccoli florets, thawed
- 2 pounds red potatoes, quartered
- Place chicken in a 4-qt. slow cooker. Combine the salad dressing, wine, 4 tablespoons butter, onion, garlic powder, Italian seasoning, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper in a small bowl; pour over chicken.
- Cover and cook on low for 5 hours. Skim fat. Remove chicken from slow cooker with slotted spoon; shred chicken with two forks and return to slow cooker. Combine the soup, cream cheese and 2 cups of liquid from slow cooker in a small bowl until blended; add to slow cooker. Cover and cook 45 minutes longer or until chicken is tender, adding the broccoli during the last 30 minutes of cooking.
- Meanwhile, place potatoes in a large saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer until tender, 15-20 minutes. Drain and return to pan. Mash potatoes with the remaining butter, salt and pepper.
- Serve chicken and broccoli mixture with potatoes.
Nutrition Facts1 serving: 572 calories, 36g fat (14g saturated fat), 142mg cholesterol, 1126mg sodium, 28g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 3g fiber), 29g protein.
Aug 27, 2019
Prepared this recipe today with a few changes. I substituted a pound of crab for the chicken (which I don't care for). I also substituted brown rice for the potatoes. Turned out pretty good!
Nov 12, 2017
This was really good! My husband, however, didn't like the flavor. I thought the Italian dressing added a really interesting taste. I've had plenty of chicken soups, but never one that tasted quite like this.
Oct 9, 2017
Very good and easy to make. I served over rice.
Jul 25, 2017
I think anyone would enjoy this quick and easy side dish. Thanks for sharing.
Jul 3, 2017
Very good recipe. Super easy. I used boneless, skinless chicken breasts and it was tasty. Will make it again.
Mar 8, 2016
Sep 3, 2015
This is some serious complete meal in a bowl comfort food! Great flavor even using reduced fat products. I cooked my chicken for about 4 hours, removed it when I added soup mixture and broccoli, then removed the bones and tore it into pieces after the broccoli was done cooking and added it back into the pot to serve.
Dec 16, 2014
I love this recipe, my roommate and I eat it at least once a month
Oct 9, 2014
I liked this recipe, and my husband said it was one of his favorites! I made it with chicken breast tenderloins, and used 2-10oz pkgs of broccoli. I did use a little less Italian Seasoning than it called for as a personal preference. Easy and good! Will make again.
Aug 23, 2013
The bones aggravated me. Next time I'm use boneless chicken, but that's just me. It was rich and delicious, and tasted even better the second day! I just skipped the whole "potato" part and served it in bowls, as a soup/stew....yummy.