Sausage Bean Stew
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Cook: 45 min.
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 3 cans (15 to 16 ounces each) kidney beans, butter beans, pinto beans, black-eyed peas or great northern beans, rinsed and drained
- 3 medium carrots, diced
- 3 celery ribs, diced
- 1 pound smoked sausage, cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup medium pearl barley
- 1/2 cup dried lentils
- 1 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1 cup chopped fresh spinach
- In a Dutch oven, combine the first nine ingredients. Cover and cook over medium heat for 45-60 minutes or until the barley and lentils are tender. Stir in spinach; heat through.
Nutrition Facts1-1/2 cups: 338 calories, 16g fat (7g saturated fat), 38mg cholesterol, 1228mg sodium, 32g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 10g fiber), 18g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Nov 28, 2016
I found this to be pretty bland and added about 1/2 t red pepper flakes to give it mor flavor.
Nov 15, 2009
My family loves this stew on a cold day with cornbread. I add a 8 oz can of tomato sauce.