Best Ever Beans and Sausage
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 1 hour 20 min.
- 1-1/2 pounds bulk spicy pork sausage
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 can (31 ounces) pork and beans
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15-1/2 ounces) great northern beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15-1/2 ounces) black-eyed peas, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1-1/2 cups ketchup
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground mustard
- In a large skillet, cook sausage over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Add green pepper and onion; saute until tender. Drain. Add remaining ingredients.
- Pour into a greased 13x9-in. baking dish. Cover and bake at 325° for 1 hour. Uncover. bake 20-30 minutes longer or until bubbly.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 316 calories, 9g fat (3g saturated fat), 15mg cholesterol, 857mg sodium, 48g carbohydrate (19g sugars, 9g fiber), 13g protein.
Nov 15, 2019
Maybe it's just with me, but this was definitely not the "BEST" beans and sausage recipe ever. I think I had a certain idea in my head of how this would taste, and it did not live up to it.
Feb 8, 2019
What are you supposed to do with the sausage. Do you crumble or slice or what?
Jan 6, 2019
This is good. It makes a lot. I added sage but couldn't taste it and I used spicy sausage.
May 31, 2018
Has anyone drained and rinsed all the beans to cut down on the sodium? The recipe calls for over 100 oz. of just beans .
May 21, 2018
I used pork sausage with extra sage in it and they absolutely loved it! Definitely the best beans recipe I've come across
Mar 24, 2018
Question. Do you use breakfast or Italian hot sausage?
Feb 6, 2018
I thought this was delicious. When it was time to bake uncovered, I added a prepared cornbread batter on top and evenly smoothed it over. It baked beautifully. The cornbread was a nice compliment to the dish. I will make this again.
Sep 9, 2017
My recipe is similar, however, substitute 1 lb. BACON - crispy, carmelize a VIDALIA ONION using some of the bacon grease, cut brown sugar down to 1/2 cup, use 3/4 cup ketchup and add 1 bottle of CHILI SAUCE - perfect flavor combinations and not overly sweet, but tangy!
Aug 28, 2017
These are great! I made them in the crock pot since I was going to be gone all day. 4-5 hours on low and they were perfect!
Aug 17, 2017
These are delicious! The recipe I make, given to me by my dear friend, is a slight variation of this. Instead of the ketchup, mine calls for a standard can of tomato soup, undiluted, and a very small can of tomato paste. The result would be not so sweet. I have taken this dish to many picnics/potlucks and it is always a big hit!