Bean Soup with Sausage
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Cook: 25 min.
Makes10 servings (2-1/2 quarts)
- 8 ounces bulk lean turkey breakfast sausage
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 2 cans (16 ounces each) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 medium potato, peeled and cubed
- 4 cups water
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 teaspoon each garlic salt, seasoned salt and pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- In a large saucepan, cook sausage, onion and green pepper over medium heat 4-6 minutes or until vegetables are tender and sausage is no longer pink, breaking up sausage into crumbles; drain.
- Stir in beans, potato, water and seasonings; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 10-15 minutes or until potato is tender. Stir in tomatoes and heat through. Remove bay leaf.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 160 calories, 2g fat (1g saturated fat), 24mg cholesterol, 645mg sodium, 23g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 6g fiber), 13g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 lean meat, 1 vegetable.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Dec 15, 2014
Delicious soup! I used 12 oz pork sausage (Simple Truth brand) instead of the turkey brown and serve sausage. The directions in the magazine were very different than the ones on this site. I used the web site instructions since they used only one pot and seemed to make more sense. Definitely a keeper.
Jan 14, 2014
Needing more flavor, I added onion & garlic powder plus marjoram. I used beef broth instead of water & an immersion blender for the diced tomatoes as DH fussy about tomato pieces. He didn't complain, so it must taste okay. Being a vegetarian I can't eat it.
Dec 8, 2013
This is an easy soup to put together. I was not thrilled with the turkey sausage and might try another brand or switch to pork sausage. I thought it was heavy on the kidney beans so I might switch a kidney bean for a navy bean. All in all, an easy soup without a lot of strange ingredients that make a trip to the store necessary.
Nov 29, 2013
Good. I added mushrooms in, and used a pork sausage because that's what I had. I thought it was good; and my mother-in-law loved it.
Nov 5, 2013
This is a basic soup that was easy to make. I think it needs more flavor. I'd add more vegetables (maybe carrots, spinach, green beans) and more seasonings/herbs.
Oct 19, 2013
I love recipes like this. Fresh ingredients along with simple, easy canned goods as well. This recipe was easy to put together. I ended up adding the potatoes at the beginning and browning them up. Then when the meat was done, I through the rest of the ingredients together so the flavors would meld. Would make this again.
Mar 4, 2013
Very simple to make the only thing I would add is more potatoes because it needs some more substance. I also used fire roasted diced tomatoes gave it a little twist.