Potato Soup with Sausage
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Cook: 45 min.
- 1 pound pork sausage links, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1 cup sliced celery
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) chicken broth
- 1/2 cup water
- 4 medium potatoes, peeled and diced (about 4 cups)
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup sliced green beans, partially cooked
- Minced fresh parsley
- In a heavy saucepan, brown sausage over medium heat. Remove sausage to paper towels to drain. Drain skillet, reserving 1 tablespoon drippings. Saute the celery, onion, thyme and salt in the reserved drippings until tender. Stir in flour until blended. Gradually add broth and water, stirring until the mixture comes to a boil.
- Add potatoes; cover and simmer 25 minutes or until potatoes are tender. Remove from the heat; cool.
- In blender, cover and process 2 cups soup mixture until smooth; return to kettle. Add the milk, beans and sausage; heat through. Garnish with parsley.
Dec 6, 2015
This recipe came out so good. I need to put the leftovers in the refrigerat right now so I don't eat the whole pot. It is more of a stew but I couldn't be more pleased with the taste.
Nov 16, 2014
Very easy to make.
Apr 18, 2014
Great soup, comes together quickly. It is very thick, so I added some chicken stock. The seasoning is timid, but adding just a little more salt and pepper was sufficient to liven it up. Highly recommend.
Oct 13, 2012
Loved by everyone, including a 7 mo old bUsed non
Oct 13, 2012
This is one of my family's favorites. Ham works fine too. Sometimes I use fresh rosemary instead of thyme. And yes it does turn out pretty thick.
Jun 4, 2012
This soup was sooo good. I didn't have any green beans, so I used about a cup of frozen peas-and-carrots. I also had about a half-dozen frozen shrimp that I tossed in with the beans. Added a sprinkle of garlic and hot-pepper-sauce. Wow, excellent.
Feb 14, 2012
Yummy-Yummy... but mine came out more like a stew (thick) than a soup. Not sure what I did wrong but still delicious. Thanks
Jan 18, 2012
I have been making this soup for years. It's perfect for a winter meal. My husband requests this all the time.
Jan 7, 2011
This is pretty good soup. My husband and I both like it and I will make it again.
Jan 2, 2011
What a great recipe! I did change it a bit, replacing the sausage with ham and then used butter instead of the sausage drippings to cook the celery and onions. I also thought a little black pepper gave it a bit of zip. I've printed out a second copy to send to my mom...good stuff.