Sausage & Greens Soup
I always have an abundance of fresh vegetables on hand, so I wanted to create a delicious soup to enjoy during the colder months. I think I found a winner! —Angie Pitts, Charleston, South Carolina.
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 20 min.
Makes6 servings (2-1/4 quarts)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 Italian turkey sausage links (4 ounces each), casings removed
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 1 medium carrot, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 6 ounces Swiss chard, stems removed, chopped (about 4 cups)
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) no-salt-added diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 carton (32 ounces) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 can (15 ounces) no-salt-added cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- In a 6-qt. stockpot, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add sausage, onion, celery and carrot; cook 6-8 minutes or until sausage is no longer pink and vegetables are tender, breaking up sausage into crumbles. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer.
- Stir in Swiss chard, tomatoes, bay leaf and seasonings. Add broth; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, 10-12 minutes or until Swiss chard is tender. Stir in beans and lemon juice; heat through. Remove bay leaf.
Nutrition Facts1-1/2 cups: 155 calories, 5g fat (1g saturated fat), 14mg cholesterol, 658mg sodium, 18g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 5g fiber), 11g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 medium-fat meat, 1 vegetable, 1/2 starch, 1/2 fat.
Originally published as Greens and Beans soup in Healthy Cooking Annual Recipes 2016