Greens and Beans Turkey Soup
On winter evenings, we like nothing better than a piping hot bowl of soup. This one uses the turkey carcass to make a flavorful stock for the soup. —Susan Albert, Jonesburg, Missouri
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 2-1/2 hours
Makes10 servings (2-1/2 quarts)
- 1 leftover turkey carcass (from a 12-pound turkey)
- 9 cups water
- 2 celery ribs, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 medium onion, cut into chunks
- 1 can (15-1/2 ounces) great northern beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 3 tablespoons chopped onion
- 2 teaspoons chicken bouillon granules
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Place turkey carcass in a stockpot; add water, celery and onion. Slowly bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, 2 hours.
- Remove carcass and cool. Strain broth through a cheesecloth-lined colander; discard vegetables. Skim fat. Remove meat from bones and cut into bite-sized pieces; discard bones. Return broth and meat to pot.
- Add beans, spinach, chopped onion, bouillon, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, 10 minutes.