Corn and Sausage Soup
I created this recipe about 12 years ago when I received ab abundance of fresh sweet corn from friends. The soup is easy to make and has always been a big hit with family and friends. I usually serve it with bread and a tossed salad.
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Cook: 1 hour
Makes16-18 servings (about 5 quarts)
- 2-1/2 cups chopped onions
- 1/2 cup each chopped green pepper, sweet red pepper and celery
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 1-1/2 pounds fully cooked smoked sausage, cut into 1/4-inch pieces
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 cans (15 ounces each) Italian-style tomato sauce
- 3 packages (16 ounces each) frozen corn
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) Italian diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 cups water
- 3 bay leaves
- 1-1/2 teaspoons each dried basil, oregano and thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1/4 teaspoon hot pepper sauce, optional
- In a Dutch oven or soup kettle, saute onions, peppers and celery in butter until tender. Add sausage and garlic; cook for 8-10 minutes or until heated.
- Stir in the remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 1 hour, stirring occasionally. Discard bay leaves before serving.