Bean, Chicken and Sausage Soup
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Cook: 70 min.
Makes18 servings (4-1/2 quarts)
- 1-1/2 pounds Johnsonville® Ground Mild Italian sausage
- 2 cups chopped onion
- 6 bacon strips, diced
- 2 quarts water
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon each dried thyme, savory and salt
- 1/2 teaspoon each dried basil, oregano and pepper
- 4 cups cubed cooked chicken
- 2 cans (15 to 16 ounces each) great northern beans, rinsed and drained
- In a heavy 8-qt. Dutch oven, cook the sausage, onion and bacon over medium-high heat until sausage is not longer pink; drain. Add the water, tomatoes and seasonings. Cover and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Add chicken and beans. Simmer, uncovered, for 30-45 minutes. Discard bay leaves.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 196 calories, 12g fat (4g saturated fat), 48mg cholesterol, 488mg sodium, 7g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 2g fiber), 15g protein.
Jan 29, 2017
I'm a first time subscriber. This fairly simple recipe appealed to me, but I already knew I wanted shrimp in whatever recipe I chose. Since I enjoy a hearty soup, I added an extra can of northern beans, 5 oz. of fresh washed spinach and a pound of large cooked shrimp. I added the shrimp during the last couple minutes as they are already cooked. We thought the chicken was a bit mushy and bland. In the future, I'd lightly brown the chicken in 2 tbs olive oil, fresh garlic and herbs. I would also lightly brown the sausage. My wife and I agreed that fewer than 3 cans of northern beans would be insufficient. There was still an ample amount of broth in our bowls. We both agreed that the broth was very delicious.
Jun 15, 2015
This hearty soup has a nice blend of Italian flavors. However, I personally will leave out the bacon next time. I like my bacon crisp & it turned out soggy from cooking in the soup.
Aug 10, 2012
easy and both husband and 3 yr old loved it
Jun 4, 2012
Followed recipe 1st time and found it to be very good, but a tiny bit too garlicy. Next time used half as much garlic and a few drops of Tabasco, and replaced the chicken with frozen shrimp. Now, that's good! Even my picky granddaughter loved it.
Dec 2, 2011
Savory is a seasoning McCormick sales it when you dont know what it is you can aways google it.
Oct 16, 2011
I had to cut the recipe in half - there are only two of us - but we loved it! Great with a salad and nice, crusty bread. We'll definitely have this again.
Apr 5, 2008
What is Savory? I would like to make this soup but I don't know what savory is.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.