Lentil, Bacon and Bean Soup
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 30 min.
Makes8 servings (2 quarts)
- 4 bacon strips, chopped
- 6 medium carrots, chopped
- 2 small onions, diced
- Olive oil, optional
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 5 cups chicken stock
- 1 cup dry white wine or additional chicken stock
- 2 cans (15 to 16 ounces each) butter beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) cooked lentils, rinsed and drained
- 6 fresh thyme sprigs
- In a Dutch oven, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp, stirring occasionally. Remove with a slotted spoon; drain on paper towels. Cook and stir carrots and onions in bacon drippings, adding olive oil if necessary, until crisp-tender, 3-4 minutes. Add tomato paste, garlic, thyme and pepper; cook 1 minute longer.
- Add stock and wine; increase heat to medium-high. Cook 2 minutes, stirring to loosen browned bits from pan. Stir in butter beans, lentils and bacon. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, 5 minutes. Uncover; continue simmering until vegetables are tender, 15-20 minutes. Serve with thyme sprigs.
Test Kitchen tips
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 271 calories, 6g fat (2g saturated fat), 9mg cholesterol, 672mg sodium, 41g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 13g fiber), 18g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 starch, 1 medium-fat meat.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Jul 24, 2018
You state butter beans and lima beans are about the same thing in this receipe. I will differ with you, they are completely different beans and taste completely different. I would not use lima beans in this receipe.
May 31, 2018
Loved it! I used turkey bacon and added 1T butter to saute the carrots & onions. Seasoning was just right for my taste per recipe. I think this soup would be very amenable to using a variety of different veggies and meats depending on what you had on hand. Made 12 cups at 173 calories per cup as I made it.
Jan 25, 2018
I made this yesterday and it was delicious and flavorful. I made half a recipe, and used 5 oz. dried lentils instead of the canned. This was just about right. I used lima beans instead of butter beans, because I had them on hand. I microwaved the carrots for a couple of minutes before adding them to soften them up a bit. I used homemade chicken broth, and ended up adding a total of 4 C of liquid (including 1/2 C of white wine). The recipe can use some salt, I added it to taste. This soup was great with a dollop of sour cream on top, along with a salad and some rolls. I'll definitely make it again!
Jan 22, 2018
I made this soup for Sunday supper. We all liked it and appreciated how hearty it was. Easy to make . I did use white beans rather than butter beans and it worked! It's a keeper.