Lentil, Bacon and Bean Soup
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 30 min.
- 4 bacon strips, chopped
- 6 medium carrots, chopped
- 2 small onions, diced
- Olive oil, optional
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 5 cups chicken stock
- 1 cup dry white wine or additional chicken stock
- 2 cans (15 to 16 ounces each) butter beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) cooked lentils, rinsed and drained
- 6 fresh thyme sprigs
- In a Dutch oven, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp, stirring occasionally. Remove with a slotted spoon; drain on paper towels. Cook and stir carrots and onions in bacon drippings, adding olive oil if necessary, until crisp-tender, 3-4 minutes. Add tomato paste, garlic, thyme and pepper; cook 1 minute longer.
- Add stock and wine; increase heat to medium-high. Cook 2 minutes, stirring to loosen browned bits from pan. Stir in butter beans, lentils and bacon. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, 5 minutes. Uncover; continue simmering until vegetables are tender, 15-20 minutes. Serve with thyme sprigs.
Test Kitchen tips
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 271 calories, 6g fat (2g saturated fat), 9mg cholesterol, 672mg sodium, 41g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 13g fiber), 18g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 starch, 1 medium-fat meat.
May 31, 2018
Loved it! I used turkey bacon and added 1T butter to saute the carrots & onions. Seasoning was just right for my taste per recipe. I think this soup would be very amenable to using a variety of different veggies and meats depending on what you had on hand. Made 12 cups at 173 calories per cup as I made it.
Jan 25, 2018
I made this yesterday and it was delicious and flavorful. I made half a recipe, and used 5 oz. dried lentils instead of the canned. This was just about right. I used lima beans instead of butter beans, because I had them on hand. I microwaved the carrots for a couple of minutes before adding them to soften them up a bit. I used homemade chicken broth, and ended up adding a total of 4 C of liquid (including 1/2 C of white wine). The recipe can use some salt, I added it to taste. This soup was great with a dollop of sour cream on top, along with a salad and some rolls. I'll definitely make it again!
Jan 22, 2018
I made this soup for Sunday supper. We all liked it and appreciated how hearty it was. Easy to make . I did use white beans rather than butter beans and it worked! It's a keeper.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.