Lentil-Barley Ham Soup
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 70 min.
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 4 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 cup dried lentils, rinsed
- 1/2 teaspoon each dried basil, oregano and rosemary, crushed
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1-1/2 cups cubed fully cooked ham
- 3/4 cup sliced fresh carrots
- 1/2 cup quick-cooking barley
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- In a large saucepan, saute the onion, celery and garlic in butter until tender. Stir in the broth, lentils, basil, oregano, rosemary and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Add ham and carrots. Cover and simmer 10 minutes longer. Return to a boil; stir in the barley. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15 minutes or until barley and lentils are tender. Stir in tomatoes; heat through.
Nutrition Facts1-1/3 cups: 247 calories, 5g fat (2g saturated fat), 22mg cholesterol, 1172mg sodium, 33g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 12g fiber), 19g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 lean meat, 1-1/2 starch, 1 vegetable.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
May 27, 2016
I've made this several times, just as written, and is delicious every time! My whole family enjoys it!
Mar 3, 2013
Super flavour, I increased the amt of herbs & garlic. Sooooooo good!!!!!!
May 2, 2011
Love, Love, this soup. The only changes, olive oil for butter, canned lentils, and I also added mushrooms (about a cup & 1/2) when I was sauteing the vegetables. I also only used about half of the canned tomatoes.
Jan 30, 2010
Delish - our family loved the veggies and grain combination. The broth has just enough herbs for a great flavor (added 2 cups of ham broth to make it more soupy). I served this soup with Applesauce Walnut Muffins. Nice combination.