Hearty Lentil Soup
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Cook: 1 hour
Makes8-10 servings (about 2-1/2 quarts)
- 2 celery ribs, thinly sliced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 6 cups water
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 3/4 cup dried lentils, rinsed
- 3/4 cup medium pearl barley
- 2 tablespoons chicken bouillon granules
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup thinly sliced carrots
- 1 cup shredded Swiss cheese, optional
- In a Dutch oven, saute the celery, onion and garlic in butter until tender. Stir in the water, tomatoes, lentils, barley, bouillon, oregano, rosemary and pepper; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 40 minutes or until lentils and barley are almost tender.
- Add carrots; simmer for 15 minutes or until the carrots, lentils and barley are tender. Sprinkle each serving with cheese if desired.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 154 calories, 3g fat (1g saturated fat), 6mg cholesterol, 643mg sodium, 27g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 9g fiber), 7g protein.
Jan 7, 2014
Wonderful! You must try. Added hot sauce, but otherwise perfect.
Nov 13, 2012
I've made this twice & it was good, with some changes. I cooked short ribs (any amount you want to use) with herbs, bay leaf, onions. Drain & save beef broth, cut the ribs apart & set aside. Continue recipe as written, except use broth from cooking ribs instead of water. (add enough water to make 6 cups if you don't have enough.
Mar 8, 2012
I don't love lentil soups as a rule, but this was better than the sum of its parts. I was pleasantly surprised.
Feb 8, 2011
This soup was awesome! I brought some to work and everyone wanted the recipe.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.