Lentil Barley Soup
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Cook: 40 min.
Makes8-10 servings (about 2-1/2 quarts)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 can (49-1/2 ounces) chicken broth
- 3 medium carrots, chopped
- 1/2 cup dried lentils
- 1-1/2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup cubed cooked chicken or turkey
- 1/2 cup quick-cooking barley
- 2 medium fresh mushrooms, chopped
- 1 can (28 ounces) crushed tomatoes, undrained
- In a Dutch oven or soup kettle, saute the onion, green pepper and garlic in butter until tender. Add broth, carrots, lentils, Italian seasoning, salt and pepper; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 25 minutes.
- Add chicken, barley and mushrooms; return to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10-15 minutes or until the lentils, barley and carrots are tender. Add tomatoes; heat through.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 155 calories, 3g fat (1g saturated fat), 16mg cholesterol, 949mg sodium, 23g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 7g fiber), 11g protein.
Jan 18, 2013
This is a good soup. I had some boneless, skinless chicken breast halves, so I just cut up a couple of them into cubes and cooked them along with the first ingredients. I'd prefer to make the soup with homemade chicken broth, as there's less (or no) sodium, but I used canned this time. There's enough protein in the soup with the combination of the barley and lentils, and I like vegeterian dishes, so I don't feel more chicken is necessary, but that's a matter of individual taste.
Nov 1, 2012
I made the soup as written, and when it was finished I felt it was lacking something, so I added a 6 oz can of tomato paste and a 15 oz can of white kidney beans. It made it more like a minestrone soup, but I felt I had to do it to add more depth of flavor and substance to the soup. I also used almost two cups of chicken.
Feb 3, 2012
This is such a good filling soup and a meal in itself. It does need more chicken. Probably at least 1 more cup. I am also going to cut some of the salt the next time, by using low sodium products and add only 1/2 teaspoon salt.
Nov 27, 2010
I made this delicious soup to use up some leftover Thanksgiving turkey.
Jan 27, 2010
Taste Great! Will try again!
Oct 15, 2009
Wonderfully filling soup. I also made it with beef and beef broth for a change, yummy!
Feb 22, 2009
I used a whole roasted chicken and pulled it apart instead of the cubed chicken and it was excellent
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.