Lentil Barley Soup
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Cook: 40 min.
Makes8-10 servings (about 2-1/2 quarts)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 can (49-1/2 ounces) chicken broth
- 3 medium carrots, chopped
- 1/2 cup dried lentils
- 1-1/2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup cubed cooked chicken or turkey
- 1/2 cup quick-cooking barley
- 2 medium fresh mushrooms, chopped
- 1 can (28 ounces) crushed tomatoes, undrained
- In a Dutch oven or soup kettle, saute the onion, green pepper and garlic in butter until tender. Add broth, carrots, lentils, Italian seasoning, salt and pepper; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 25 minutes.
- Add chicken, barley and mushrooms; return to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10-15 minutes or until the lentils, barley and carrots are tender. Add tomatoes; heat through.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 155 calories, 3g fat (1g saturated fat), 16mg cholesterol, 949mg sodium, 23g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 7g fiber), 11g protein.
Jan 18, 2013
This is a good soup. I had some boneless, skinless chicken breast halves, so I just cut up a couple of them into cubes and cooked them along with the first ingredients. I'd prefer to make the soup with homemade chicken broth, as there's less (or no) sodium, but I used canned this time. There's enough protein in the soup with the combination of the barley and lentils, and I like vegeterian dishes, so I don't feel more chicken is necessary, but that's a matter of individual taste.
Nov 1, 2012
I made the soup as written, and when it was finished I felt it was lacking something, so I added a 6 oz can of tomato paste and a 15 oz can of white kidney beans. It made it more like a minestrone soup, but I felt I had to do it to add more depth of flavor and substance to the soup. I also used almost two cups of chicken.
Feb 3, 2012
This is such a good filling soup and a meal in itself. It does need more chicken. Probably at least 1 more cup. I am also going to cut some of the salt the next time, by using low sodium products and add only 1/2 teaspoon salt.
Nov 27, 2010
I made this delicious soup to use up some leftover Thanksgiving turkey.
Jan 27, 2010
Taste Great! Will try again!
Oct 15, 2009
Wonderfully filling soup. I also made it with beef and beef broth for a change, yummy!
Feb 22, 2009
I used a whole roasted chicken and pulled it apart instead of the cubed chicken and it was excellent