Hearty Beef and Vegetable Soup
When you need to feed a crowd, consider this beefy favorite loaded with both fresh and frozen veggies. —Sue Straughan, Prattville, Alabama
Total TimePrep: 1-3/4 hours Cook: 2-1/4 hours
Makes26 servings (1-1/2 cups each)
- 2 to 4 tablespoons canola oil
- 4 pounds beef stew meat
- 8 medium onions (2-1/4 pounds), halved and thinly sliced
- 12 cups water
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (15 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1-1/3 cups Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 cup beef bouillon granules
- 12 medium red potatoes (about 3-1/2 pounds), cubed
- 1/2 large head cabbage, chopped
- 1 pound carrots, thinly sliced
- 6 celery ribs, thinly sliced (3 cups)
- 3 cups (about 15 ounces) frozen corn
- 3 cups (about 12 ounces) frozen peas
- 3 cups (about 12 ounces) frozen cut green beans
- 1-1/2 cups (about 15 ounces) frozen lima beans
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 teaspoons dried marjoram
- 3 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1-1/2 cups (6 ounces) frozen sliced okra
- In a large stockpot, heat 1 tablespoon oil over medium heat. Brown beef in batches, adding additional oil as necessary. Remove with a slotted spoon. Add onions to drippings; cook and stir until tender. Discard drippings; return beef to pan. Stir in water, tomatoes, tomato sauce, Worcestershire sauce and bouillon. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, 45 minutes.
- Stir in potatoes, cabbage, carrots, celery, corn, peas, green beans, lima beans and seasonings. Return to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, 35 minutes. Stir in okra; cook 15-20 minutes longer or until beef and vegetables are tender. Discard bay leaf.
Nutrition Facts1-1/2 cups: 245 calories, 6g fat (2g saturated fat), 42mg cholesterol, 1090mg sodium, 31g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 6g fiber), 18g protein.
Originally published as Vegetable-Beef Soup in Taste of Home Christmas Annual 2016
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.