Hearty Beef & Bean Soup
I love cooking, and often share my soups with my co-workers—and they're happy I do. This one is perfect for late summer, because it has a lot of zippy flavor but isn't as heavy as chili. I use my homegrown cayenne peppers in the recipe. —Lori Steiner, Maquoketa, Iowa
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 30 min.
Makes10 servings (4 quarts)
- 1 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 small green pepper, chopped
- 1 can (28 ounces) petite diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (16 ounces) chili beans, undrained
- 1 can (15 ounces) cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 package (13-1/2 ounces) beef Johnsonville® Fully Cooked Smoked Sausage Rope, sliced
- 2 serrano peppers, seeded and chopped
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 carton (32 ounces) beef broth
- 2 cups water
- In a Dutch oven, cook beef, onion and green pepper over medium heat 8-10 minutes or until meat is no longer pink, breaking up beef into crumbles. Drain.
- Stir in remaining ingredients; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 15-20 minutes or until flavors are blended. Freeze option: Freeze cooled soup in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through in a saucepan, stirring occasionally.
Nutrition Facts1-1/2 cups: 332 calories, 15g fat (6g saturated fat), 54mg cholesterol, 1507mg sodium, 28g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 8g fiber), 22g protein.
Originally published as Zingy Tomato Soup in Simple & Delicious August/September 2014
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.