Hearty Beef Barley Soup
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Cook: 30 min.
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper, divided
- 1 pound lean beef top sirloin steak, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) reduced-sodium beef broth
- 2 medium carrots, sliced
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 cup quick-cooking barley
- In a large resealable plastic bag, combine the flour, salt and 1/8 teaspoon pepper. Add beef and shake to coat. In a Dutch oven, brown beef in oil over medium heat or until the meat is no longer pink. Remove beef and set aside.
- In the same pan, saute mushrooms until tender. Add the broth, carrots, garlic powder, thyme and remaining pepper; bring to a boil. Add barley and beef. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20-25 minutes until the meat, vegetables and barley are tender.
Nutrition Facts1-1/4 cups: 306 calories, 9g fat (2g saturated fat), 50mg cholesterol, 748mg sodium, 25g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 5g fiber), 31g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 1-1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1/2 fat.
Jul 9, 2017
This recipe is good for you on a cold winter's day.
Sep 30, 2014
I have to agree that this tasts just like broth. The first time I made it,I followed the recipe and it definitely needed doctoring up. So the second time I took some suggestions from here and added Worchestershire sauce, basil, bay leaves, and more barley. Helped a little but not enough. I was hoping this would be THE recipe.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.