Hearty Beef Soup
Total TimePrep: 1 hour Cook: 40 min.
Makes32 servings (8 quarts)
- 4 pounds beef top sirloin steak, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 4 cups chopped onions
- 1/4 cup butter
- 4 quarts hot water
- 4 cups sliced carrots
- 4 cups cubed peeled potatoes
- 2 cups chopped cabbage
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 large green pepper, chopped
- 8 teaspoons beef bouillon granules
- 1 tablespoon seasoned salt
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 4 bay leaves
- 6 cups tomato juice
- In two Dutch ovens, brown beef and onions in butter in batches; drain. Add the water, vegetables and seasonings; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Add tomato juice; cover and simmer 10 minutes longer or until the beef and vegetables are tender. Discard bay leaves.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 123 calories, 4g fat (2g saturated fat), 34mg cholesterol, 428mg sodium, 10g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 2g fiber), 12g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 1 lean meat, 1/2 fat.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Jan 3, 2017
Recipe turned out to be amazing. I did exclude the potatoes and cabbage and replaced them with egg noodles and a higher amounts of onions, carrots and celery. I also used 3 cups of tomato juice instead of 6.. Just out of personal preference. Good stuff!
Jan 21, 2012
My son, who hates vegetables of any kind, picked this soup one night. I made it and the whole family LOVED it. What an amazing way to fix vegetables!
Nov 8, 2011
The only substitution I made was tomato sauce + water in place of tomato juice. The soup was tasty, but we like our beef cooked until it's tender. Next time I'll simmer the meat for a time before adding the veggies.
Sep 16, 2011
I have made this recipe several times! My husband doesn't care for soup, but he loves this one! If I'm not making for a group, I'm freezing in our family size portions and lunch bowls that I can grab on the way to work.