Hearty Navy Bean Soup
Total TimePrep: 30 min. + soaking Cook: 1-3/4 hours
Makes10 servings (2-1/2 quarts)
- 3 cups (1-1/2 pounds) dried navy beans
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 meaty ham hock or 1 cup diced cooked ham
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 2-1/2 cups water
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Minced fresh parsley
- Rinse and sort beans; soak according to package directions.
- Drain and rinse beans, discarding liquid. Place in a Dutch oven. Add the tomatoes with juice, onion, ham hock, broth, water, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer until beans are tender, about 1-1/2 hours.
- Add more water if necessary. Remove ham hock and let stand until cool enough to handle. Remove meat from bone; discard bone. Cut meat into bite-sized pieces; set aside. (For a thicker soup, cool slightly, then puree beans in a food processor or blender and return to pan.) Return ham to soup and heat through. Garnish with parsley.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 245 calories, 2g fat (0 saturated fat), 8mg cholesterol, 352mg sodium, 42g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 16g fiber), 18g protein. Diabetic exchanges: 3 starch, 2 lean meat.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Apr 1, 2019
This is not traditional navy bean soup! No tomatoes or tomato sauce!! I use the canned navy beans so no wasted soaking time. Then mash them some after adding water. Just add celery, diced onion, chopped carrots and ham bone or ham hocks! With the ham you may not want added salt. Add bay leaf if you want and pepper to taste. Then l let cook all day! Yum. And I grew up on this soup as my dad was a Naval officer.
Mar 10, 2019
Tried it. Not a keeper. Might go back to it later and try to tweet it.
Feb 16, 2019
Grew up with this soup, but Grandma would use the nutritious dried bean cooking water as the base for the soup and never drain. Also can use baby limas or large limas. Added bay leaves,celery,carrots and plenty of cracked black pepper,too. Yummy with and/or without tomatoes. This recipe is also a flavorful vegetarian soup by eliminating the ham! Thank-you.
Feb 16, 2019
To Abby_21. Yes, I always use a good ham that I cube piceses of for my navy bean soup. Always cook the beans in water only, do not add anything else, until they are done or as another reviewer said they will not soften. I only add celery, carrots and onion along with salt and pepper. I leave the veggies in big pieces so they can be removed - especially celery which becomes slimy to me but adds great flavor. Serve with cornbread for a cold winter night dinner!
Feb 7, 2019
To make in a pressure cooker, reduce the water to 1 1/2 cups, and cook for 30 minutes.
Dec 16, 2018
Love beans so will try to get it made at home-thanks
Jul 4, 2018
I think that adding a ketchup/brown sugar mix would really make this dish standout!!
Apr 21, 2018
My kids who can be picky all loved this soup!!
Feb 18, 2018
I saut?ed the onion and added 2 celery stalks diced along with 4 medium carrots & 2 bay leaves to this recipe! Ooh-la-la, the ham bone was the only other seasoning I had! Will make again!
Feb 18, 2018
it won't be long (maybe tomorrow even) and I'll be making this-thanks for posting Mildred