Navy Bean Soup
Total TimePrep: 10 min. + standing Cook: 70 min.
Makes12-14 servings (3-1/2 quarts)
- 1 pound dried navy beans
- 8 cups water
- 1-1/2 to 2 pounds smoked ham hocks
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 cups thinly sliced carrots
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 3/4 cup mashed potato flakes
- Rinse and sort beans. Place beans in a Dutch oven or soup kettle; add water to cover by 2 in. Bring to a boil; boil for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat; cover and let stand for 1 to 4 hours or until beans are softened.
- Drain and rinse, discarding liquid. Return beans to Dutch oven; add the water, ham hocks, onion, parsley and seasonings. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1 hour or until beans are tender.
- Add the carrots, celery and potato flakes; mix well. Cover and simmer for 30 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Discard bay leaf. Set side ham hocks until cool enough to handle. Remove meat from bones; discard bones. Cut into bite-size pieces. Return meat to Dutch oven; heat through.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 296 calories, 12g fat (4g saturated fat), 53mg cholesterol, 322mg sodium, 26g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 9g fiber), 22g protein.
Dec 9, 2017
I made this bean soup recipe on 11/8/17. I used smoked PORK hocks and 1 cup RED onion. Everything else was kept as recipe directed. This soup is DELICIOUS and the recipe is a KEEPER! I LOVED making and eating it!
Jan 10, 2015
I had a left over honey baked ham bone for Christmas that I froze. I made this soup today with the ham bone, delicious soup!
Nov 13, 2011
delicious and hearty
Jan 18, 2011
This was the best bean soup we have ever eaten!
Sep 22, 2010
Very flavorful soup and easy to make! I can't wait to make it again! It was delicious!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.