Homemade Chicken Broth
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Cook: 3-1/4 hours + chilling
Makesabout 6 cups
- 2-1/2 pounds bony chicken pieces (legs, wings, necks or back bones)
- 2 celery ribs with leaves, cut into chunks
- 2 medium carrots, cut into chunks
- 2 medium onions, quartered
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 8 to 10 whole peppercorns
- 2 quarts cold water
- Place all ingredients in a soup kettle or Dutch oven. Slowly bring to a boil; reduce heat until mixture is just at a simmer. Simmer, uncovered, for 3-4 hours, skimming foam as necessary.
- Set chicken aside until cool enough to handle. Remove meat from bones. Discard bones; save meat for another use. Strain broth, discarding vegetables and seasonings. Refrigerate for 8 hours or overnight. Skim fat from surface.
Test Kitchen Tips
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 245 calories, 14g fat (4g saturated fat), 61mg cholesterol, 80mg sodium, 8g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 2g fiber), 21g protein.
Feb 3, 2020
Great flavor. Yummm
Mar 18, 2019
it looks good
Jun 11, 2018
what do you do with vegetables afterward? can you eat them?
Feb 4, 2018
How long does it last in the fridge? This was easy and the taste is incredible!
Jan 30, 2018
Can you freeze this? How long does it keep in the fridge?
Mar 24, 2017
This is the perfect recipe for a perfect bone broth. It's pretty much the same technique I use, but I pressure cook mine and it's done in 30 minutes. Regarding "solidifying" in the refrigerator: Vishy, that's exactly what it's supposed to do. You didn't do anything wrong. The collagen in the bones is what makes that happen, the more collagen, the silkier the liquid. When you refrigerate it, the fat left in the liquid will harden and rise to the top where it can be easily skimmed off. The stock itself will vary in density from being like egg whites to being like soft-set jello. Sounds like you got some good stuff! If you want to get rid of the meat pieces, strain it through a couple layers of cheesecloth before refrigerating.
Mar 23, 2017
The broth solidified into a paste when i refrigerated it. Did i do something wrong?There was some chicken leftover in the broth, maybe that is the issue.
Mar 3, 2013
Its a simple and tasty recipe.
Mar 3, 2013
Its a simple and tasty recipe
Feb 8, 2012
Good recipe - like the rosemary!