Homemade Beef Broth
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Cook: 5-1/2 hours + chilling
Makesabout 2-1/2 quarts
- 4 pounds meaty beef soup bones (beef shanks or short ribs)
- 3 medium carrots, cut into chunks
- 3 celery ribs, cut into chunks
- 2 medium onions, quartered
- 1/2 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 3 bay leaves
- 3 garlic cloves
- 8 to 10 whole peppercorns
- 3 to 4 sprigs fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- Cold water
- Preheat oven to 450°. In a large roasting pan, bake soup bones, uncovered, 30 minutes. Add carrots, celery and onions. Bake 30 minutes; drain fat.
- Using a slotted spoon, transfer bones and vegetables to a large Dutch oven. Add warm water to roasting pan; stir to loosen browned bits. Transfer pan juices to Dutch oven. Add seasonings and enough cold water just to cover. Slowly bring to a boil, about 30 minutes. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 4-5 hours, skimming foam. If necessary, add water during first 2 hours to keep ingredients covered.
- Remove beef bones; cool. If desired, remove meat and discard bones; save meat for another use. Strain broth through a cheesecloth-lined colander, discarding vegetables and seasonings. If using immediately, skim fat. Or refrigerate 8 hours or overnight; remove fat from surface.
- Broth can be covered and refrigerated up to 3 days or frozen 4-6 months.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 209 calories, 10g fat (4g saturated fat), 56mg cholesterol, 61mg sodium, 6g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 2g fiber), 22g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Dec 5, 2018
Confused! I followed the directions exactly and ended up with barely a quart of broth. Simmering uncovered results in the liquid being greatly reduced even though I added water as instructed. This was WAY too work intensive for the results. Where did I go wrong????
Dec 22, 2017
This was so tasty! Will keep this recipe handy!
May 24, 2015
eassy and good. i used beef marrow bones they have tons of flavor. i give the meat dripping to my dogs as a treat in their food.
Apr 21, 2012
Could someone please tell me when do you add the 3 quarts of cold water?
Oct 26, 2011
I've made beef broth from scratch before but this was definitely the easiest and tastiest recipe I've tried. I'll certainly make it again.
Oct 26, 2011
I've made homemade beef broth before but this was certainly the easiest and fastest recipe I've tried. I'll definitely make it again.
Apr 15, 2011
To save money we buy locker beef from our local butcher shop. It always comes with beef soup bones. This is a great way to use up all the soup bones. I chill the finished broth and the extra fat can be removed easily.
Jan 13, 2011
Followed recipe the first time - and have purchased another load of bones from my meat market to make another batch. This is the best thing to have measured and frozen in my freezer for various dishes. I have even taken an old ice cube tray to freeze small amounts of the broth just to use around a hamburger in a pan - makes it taste like a steak! Beef stew was the best ever and plan to make many more dishes using the homemade beef broth. Highly recommend everyone to have a batch in freezer!