Homey Chicken Noodle Soup
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 50 min.
Makes6 servings (about 2-1/2 quarts)
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 2 medium carrots, chopped
- 3/4 cup coarsely chopped fresh mushrooms
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cartons (32 ounces each) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 package (12 ounces) frozen home-style egg noodles
- 4 cups chopped fresh kale
- 2 cups shredded cooked chicken
- In a Dutch oven, heat butter over medium heat. Add onion, celery, carrots and mushrooms; cook and stir 8-10 minutes or until vegetables are crisp-tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer.
- Stir in flour, basil and salt until blended; gradually stir in broth. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, 10 minutes.
- Return to a boil; add noodles. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, 15 minutes. Stir in kale and chicken; cook, covered, 6-8 minutes longer or until kale and noodles are tender.
Freeze option: Freeze cooled soup in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through in a saucepan, stirring occasionally and adding a little broth if necessary.
Nutrition Facts1-3/4 cups: 381 calories, 13g fat (6g saturated fat), 128mg cholesterol, 1104mg sodium, 41g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 2g fiber), 24g protein.
Apr 8, 2017
Absolutely loved it! So simple and quick to make. Could not stop eating it! Only changes I made was I used fresh spinach instead of kale because that it what I had & I used a bag of penn dutch egg noodles. Noodles cooked completely. Sooo delicious! Thank you Cynthia
Mar 13, 2016
This is a really good soup but we didn't care for the frozen noodles, too thick and kinda gummy. Will make again with different noodles. Yum
Jan 10, 2016
Loved it. I didn't get the noodles soft enough and it was still good.
Nov 19, 2015
Excellent made it,ate it and shared it.
Nov 25, 2014
This soup was fantastic. Made for some deer hunters and they really ate it all up.