Hearty Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 5-1/2 hours
Makes12 servings (3 quarts)
- 12 fresh baby carrots, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 4 celery ribs, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 3/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1-1/2 teaspoons mustard seed
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and halved
- 1-1/4 pounds boneless skinless chicken breast halves
- 1-1/4 pounds boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 4 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) chicken broth
- 1 package (9 ounces) refrigerated linguine
- Optional: Coarsely ground pepper and additional minced fresh parsley
- In a 5-qt. slow cooker, combine the first 6 ingredients. Place mustard seed and garlic on a double thickness of cheesecloth; bring up corners of cloth and tie with kitchen string to form a bag. Place in slow cooker. Add chicken and broth. Cover and cook on low until meat is tender, 5-6 hours.
- Discard spice bag. Remove chicken; cool slightly. Stir linguine into soup; cover and cook on high until tender, about 30 minutes. Cut chicken into pieces and return to soup; heat through. Sprinkle with coarsely ground pepper and additional parsley if desired.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 199 calories, 6g fat (2g saturated fat), 73mg cholesterol, 663mg sodium, 14g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 1g fiber), 22g protein. Diabetic exchanges: 3 lean meat, 1 starch.
Dec 1, 2014
made this using left-over turkey from Thanksgiving, fast, easy, and delicious.But, I did not use a slow cooker, just made it in a regular pot.
May 18, 2014
Very hearty tasty chicken noodle. Chicken noodle is not my favorite type of soup but I really enjoyed it. It makes quite a bit, so expect leftovers.
Jan 1, 2014
This is an easy soup and one everybody likes. I double the recipe and freeze in quart size baggies that lie flat and take up very little freezer room. Do not freeze noodles. Add them to the soup while reheating it.When noodles are frozen the texture becomes grainy.
Nov 24, 2013
This is a very good soup. I did not bother with the cheesecloth; used ground mustard and minced garlic and just dumped all seasonings in.
Apr 9, 2013
Finally one that tastes like Mom's!
Feb 26, 2013
I LOVE this recipe...thank you!
Mar 7, 2012
Very good recipe, although I changed several things. Skipped the spice bag and used ground mustard and pepper, and changed the cooking method by starting with just the veges and broth for a couple hours, then added cut up chicken, then an hour later the pasta (I used broken dry spaghetti). It worked perfectly fine.
Feb 10, 2012
Sep 7, 2011
This was very good. I did not have any mustard seed, but I did put some dried thyme in instead. I used mini penne noodles as well. My kids loved it & we served it with grilled cheese paninis. Perfect for a cozy Autumn dinner.
Nov 26, 2010
I really like chicken noodles, it is great for those days where you want something a little wintery but with the stodgy red meat which can leave you sluggish. This is a great recipe and definitely leaves you full of energy