Hearty Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 5-1/2 hours
Makes12 servings (3 quarts)
- 12 fresh baby carrots, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 4 celery ribs, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 3/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1-1/2 teaspoons mustard seed
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and halved
- 1-1/4 pounds boneless skinless chicken breast halves
- 1-1/4 pounds boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 4 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) chicken broth
- 1 package (9 ounces) refrigerated linguine
- Coarsely ground pepper and additional minced fresh parsley, optional
- In a 5-qt. slow cooker, combine the first six ingredients. Place mustard seed and garlic on a double thickness of cheesecloth; bring up corners of cloth and tie with kitchen string to form a bag. Place in slow cooker. Add chicken and broth. Cover and cook on low until meat is tender, 5-6 hours.
- Discard spice bag. Remove chicken; cool slightly. Stir linguine into soup; cover and cook on high until tender, about 30 minutes. Cut chicken into pieces and return to soup; heat through. Sprinkle with coarsely ground pepper and additional parsley if desired.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 199 calories, 6g fat (2g saturated fat), 73mg cholesterol, 663mg sodium, 14g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 1g fiber), 22g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 1 starch.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
May 21, 2018
I cooked the soup for 5 1/2 hours. The carrots and celery were still hard. I used free range chicken which is normally very tender , but in this recipe, it became tough. I did like the fact that there was no salt added.
Mar 16, 2018
I made this soup and shared with my children (44 and 38) when we were all sick. I made cheddar bacon biscuits and they felt better in a few days...so good, full bodied soup. Loved all the pasta.
Feb 23, 2018
This soup makes a lot! It was very easy in the slow cooker and tasted better the next day, of course.
Dec 1, 2014
made this using left-over turkey from Thanksgiving, fast, easy, and delicious.But, I did not use a slow cooker, just made it in a regular pot.
May 18, 2014
Very hearty tasty chicken noodle. Chicken noodle is not my favorite type of soup but I really enjoyed it. It makes quite a bit, so expect leftovers.
Jan 1, 2014
This is an easy soup and one everybody likes. I double the recipe and freeze in quart size baggies that lie flat and take up very little freezer room. Do not freeze noodles. Add them to the soup while reheating it.When noodles are frozen the texture becomes grainy.
Nov 24, 2013
This is a very good soup. I did not bother with the cheesecloth; used ground mustard and minced garlic and just dumped all seasonings in.
Apr 9, 2013
Finally one that tastes like Mom's!
Feb 26, 2013
I LOVE this recipe...thank you!
Mar 7, 2012
Very good recipe, although I changed several things. Skipped the spice bag and used ground mustard and pepper, and changed the cooking method by starting with just the veges and broth for a couple hours, then added cut up chicken, then an hour later the pasta (I used broken dry spaghetti). It worked perfectly fine.