Chicken Noodle Soup
Total TimePrep: 35 min. Cook: 2 hours + cooling
- 1 broiler/fryer chicken (2 to 3 pounds)
- 2-1/2 quarts water
- 1/2 medium onion, chopped
- 3 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons chicken bouillon granules
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 1-1/2 cups uncooked fine egg noodles
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- In a stockpot, combine the first 9 ingredients; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1-1/2 hours. Remove chicken; allow to cool. Strain broth; discard bay leaf.
- Skim fat. Debone chicken and cut into chunks; return chicken and broth to pan. Add the noodles, celery and carrots; bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 25-30 minutes or until noodles and vegetables are tender.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 132 calories, 6g fat (2g saturated fat), 41mg cholesterol, 922mg sodium, 7g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 1g fiber), 12g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Oct 22, 2017
After reading the reviews, I was expecting to be totally impressed with this recipe. I was not. Its not bad, but I did expect more. Honestly, I was looking for something that comes close to Cracker Barrel's chicken noodle soup, which this does not. Its not a bad recipe but surely not a spectacular one. My hunt for the perfect chicken noodle soup recipe continues.
Jun 6, 2017
This is delicious! I did have to substitute chicken breast for the fryer chicken so I cut down the cook time to 45 minutes. Even great the next day for lunch!
Jan 1, 2017
Delicious! I've made many soups but this one is relatively easy and has such great flavor. Definitely a favorite.
Mar 15, 2016
Delicious! Didn't put in salt, my favourite!
Oct 18, 2015
I have used this delicious recipe for years after seeing it in a Taste of Homes Soup magazine. It is so easy and yummy - I especially like to make it when someone in my family has a cold. :)
Jan 29, 2015
all I can say is good good good
Aug 22, 2014
This was a great recipe. I will definitely make it again!
Jun 4, 2013
This is absolutely wonderful! I did use a whole large onion, added some frozen peas, garlic and rosemary. Will make this time and again!
Dec 21, 2011
I love the homemade taste of this. I will keep this one in my recipe box.
Oct 10, 2011
Great soup. Put a copy in my favorite recipes notebook.