Homemade Chicken and Rice Soup
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Cook: 50 min.
Makes10 servings (2-1/2 quarts)
- 3 quarts water
- 4 bone-in chicken breast halves (about 3 pounds)
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1 teaspoon chicken bouillon granules
- 3 medium carrots, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1/2 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 1 small onion, chopped
- In a large Dutch oven or soup kettle, place water, chicken, salt, pepper and poultry seasoning. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 25-30 minutes or until chicken is tender.
- With a slotted spoon, remove chicken from broth. When cool enough to handle, remove meat from bones; discard skin and bones. Cut chicken into bite-size pieces. Skim fat from broth; add chicken and remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 25-30 minutes or until vegetables and rice are tender.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 128 calories, 1g fat (0 saturated fat), 51mg cholesterol, 543mg sodium, 7g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 1g fiber), 21g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 1/2 starch.
Oct 22, 2012
My husband said this soup was alright so I gave it three stars. Neither I nor our son cared for it. It seemed very greasy from the chicken. I left out the salt and pepper as we don't care so much for those and used garlic powder and basil instead. I did like the addition of those herbs, but I still couldn't take the grease. I don't plan to make this again.
Oct 18, 2009
I've made this recipe multiple times. Today is really chilly day & I look forward to the hot soup tonight when it's done
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.