Yummy Chicken and Dumpling Soup
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Cook: 40 min.
- 3/4 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth, divided
- 1 cup water
- 2 cups frozen french-cut green beans
- 1-1/2 cups sliced onions
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 1/4 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 2/3 cup reduced-fat biscuit/baking mix
- 1/3 cup cornmeal
- 1/4 cup shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- 1/3 cup fat-free milk
- Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper. In a large nonstick skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add chicken; cook and stir until no longer pink. Remove from heat.
- In a large saucepan, whisk flour and 1/2 cup broth until smooth. Stir in water and remaining broth. Add beans, onions, carrots and marjoram. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 10 minutes. Add chicken; return to a simmer.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, mix biscuit mix, cornmeal and cheese. Stir in milk just until moistened. Drop batter in 12 portions on top of the simmering soup. Reduce heat to low; cover and cook 15 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center of dumpling comes out clean.
Nutrition Facts1-1/4 cups: 353 calories, 8g fat (2g saturated fat), 52mg cholesterol, 1111mg sodium, 44g carbohydrate (10g sugars, 5g fiber), 28g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 2 starch, 2 vegetable, 1 fat.
Sep 29, 2014
Yum Yum Yum Delicious. I did add one chicken bouillon as the chicken broth I used was very low sodium. Also I did step 2 first and while that was simmering I browned the chicken. I will absolutely make this again and again.
Feb 5, 2014
I made this soup on a cold snowy afternoon and it really hit the spot with both me and my hardworking husband! I doubled the recipe so we'd be sure to have leftovers and I'm really glad that we'll get to have this soup for another meal. I didn't have frozen green beans, so I used a bag of frozen mixed vegetables and that worked great. I also used some baked white meat chicken that I already in the freezer which simplified preparation and shortened the prep time. I did add some extra salt and pepper to the soup along with the marjoram and added some vegetable soup base to punch up the flavor.
Oct 23, 2013
I am a big fan of rotisserie chickens and this is a great way to use any leftover meat. I also like to make broth from the bones which is much more flavorful than canned. I love the addition of cornmeal to the dumplings.
Oct 20, 2013
I used leftover chicken, substituted thyme for marjoram, and added a 1/4 tsp Frankenmuth chicken seasoning. The results were excellent and every bowl was empty! I will definitely make this recipe again.
Oct 20, 2013
I used my own traditional family favorite chicken soup and topped it with the corn cheddar biscuits. Simply amazing! Who would have thought corn and cheddar would make such scrumptious dumplings?
Oct 14, 2013
This is a tasty soup recipe. I finished cooking the soup in the crock pot and added thyme and basil instead of marjoram. I made my dumplings bite size.
Oct 7, 2013
Loved this recipe, and the fact that it is low fat makes it a keeper!
Oct 5, 2013
My husband and I are not a big fan of Chicken and Dumpling anything unless it's baked but I figured I'd give this a try. It was good but it's not something I will make it again just because my family likes the biscuits fluffy the way they get when their baked not cooked on the stove. If you are a Chicken and Dumpling lover then I highly recommend you to try this out.
Oct 3, 2013
Very good and delicious! I did; however, make my own dumplings and didn't use marjoram. Mine cooked down to thickness of a stew rather than a soup.
Sep 2, 2013
I made this in the crock pot
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.