The Ultimate Chicken Noodle Soup
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 45 min. + standing
Makes10 servings (about 3-1/2 quarts)
- 2-1/2 pounds bone-in chicken thighs
- 1-1/4 teaspoons pepper, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 10 cups chicken broth
- 4 celery ribs, chopped
- 4 medium carrots, chopped
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh thyme or 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 3 cups uncooked kluski or other egg noodles (about 8 ounces)
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Pat chicken dry with paper towels; sprinkle with 1/2 teaspoon pepper and salt. In a 6-qt. stockpot, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add chicken in batches, skin side down; cook until dark golden brown, 3-4 minutes. Remove chicken from pan; remove and discard skin. Discard drippings, reserving 2 tablespoons.
- Add onion to drippings; cook and stir over medium-high heat until tender, 4-5 minutes. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Add broth, stirring to loosen browned bits from pan. Bring to a boil. Return chicken to pan. Add celery, carrots, bay leaves and thyme. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, until chicken is tender, 25-30 minutes.
- Transfer chicken to a plate. Remove soup from heat. Add noodles; let stand, covered, until noodles are tender, 20-22 minutes.
- Meanwhile, when chicken is cool enough to handle, remove meat from bones; discard bones. Shred meat into bite-sized pieces. Return meat to stockpot. Stir in parsley and lemon juice. Adjust seasoning with salt and remaining 3/4 teaspoon pepper. Discard bay leaves.
Test Kitchen Tips
Nutrition Facts1-1/3 cups: 239 calories, 12g fat (3g saturated fat), 68mg cholesterol, 1176mg sodium, 14g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 2g fiber), 18g protein.
Sep 8, 2019
This is my second review, we have been making this soup since the recipe was published in Taste of Home in 2016; we happen to believe it is the best chicken noodle soup, and certainly don't agree that it is "tasteless", far from that! I do realize that we all have different "taste" when it comes to food, so may add more or less to our individual taste, we happen to like it as is although I do not like too much salt so I do not add salt and use low sodium products whenever I can. In short, don't hesitate to try this based on the few negative reviews!
Sep 3, 2019
Delicious. I am cooking this soup every two weeks. I love the video, makes it easy to follow the preparation process.
Sep 2, 2019
Ah, Lynette, that’s how my grandmother taught me how to make chicken soup! You make your own stock, put it in the fridge, the next day skim off all the fat, debone the chicken, and proceed from there. You really can taste the difference between homemade stock and what you buy at the store. It’s not hard. And Joey - are you freakin serious?
Jul 16, 2019
I just made this recipe exactly as printed, and it was decent. But it was not the best chicken noodle soup I ever had. Not sure what chicken noodle soup all these rave-reviewers have been eating, but they need to get out more if this is the best!
Jun 25, 2019
This is a lot like my recipe I have used for years. I use olive oil because it is what I have on hand. And I use both white and dark meat. And also use basil instead if parsley. I sometimes add a few left over peas from dinner the night before. And a small amount (to taste) of Cayenne pepper for those with a cold. And a few sautéed mushrooms. BUT I tried this recipe to the "T"!! And I must say it is a very yummy soup. It is a keeper in my recipe box. Thank you so much for sharing with us. You have a winner here in my heart!! THANK YOU!! ??
Jun 15, 2019
My kids don’t like vegetables, especially onions and garlic, but they LOVED this soup!!!!! Only thing I did different was add a bunch of basil leaves fresh instead of parsley, and I picked up a rotisserie chicken (original) for my meat.
Jun 10, 2019
Excellent. I used homemade spaghetti l had cooked to much of the night before. It has a great hearty flavour. Janet. VFE
Jun 9, 2019
May 18, 2019
I just found the chicken noodle soup recipe I'm going to keep! This was fantastic as written! Thank you for sharing this wonderful recipe! I paired it with cheddar biscuits.
Mar 27, 2019
This is a great recipe! I do make my own broth and that is what I used. Just the right amount of vegetables and chicken! I used less noodles.