The Ultimate Chicken Noodle Soup
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 45 min. + standing
Makes10 servings (about 3-1/2 quarts)
- 2-1/2 pounds bone-in chicken thighs
- 1-1/4 teaspoons pepper, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 10 cups chicken broth
- 4 celery ribs, chopped
- 4 medium carrots, chopped
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh thyme or 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 3 cups uncooked kluski or other egg noodles (about 8 ounces)
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Pat chicken dry with paper towels; sprinkle with 1/2 teaspoon pepper and salt. In a 6-qt. stockpot, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add chicken in batches, skin side down; cook until dark golden brown, 3-4 minutes. Remove chicken from pan; remove and discard skin. Discard drippings, reserving 2 tablespoons.
- Add onion to drippings; cook and stir over medium-high heat until tender, 4-5 minutes. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Add broth, stirring to loosen browned bits from pan. Bring to a boil. Return chicken to pan. Add celery, carrots, bay leaves and thyme. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, until chicken is tender, 25-30 minutes.
- Transfer chicken to a plate. Remove soup from heat. Add noodles; let stand, covered, until noodles are tender, 20-22 minutes.
- Meanwhile, when chicken is cool enough to handle, remove meat from bones; discard bones. Shred meat into bite-sized pieces. Return meat to stockpot. Stir in parsley and lemon juice. Adjust seasoning with salt and remaining 3/4 teaspoon pepper. Discard bay leaves.
Test Kitchen Tips
Nutrition Facts1-1/3 cups: 239 calories, 12g fat (3g saturated fat), 68mg cholesterol, 1176mg sodium, 14g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 2g fiber), 18g protein.
Dec 10, 2019
Use this as a guide. I slice up half a lemon and throw that into the soup to simmer (remove at end) and squeeze the other half of lemon into the soup ... always delicious ! Also, the addition of fresh cilantro, YUM!
Dec 8, 2019
I live in Polaris Montana and the whole house has a cold so I’m trying it out . From the smell of it I know it’s going to taste amazing . I tell my husband I can taste with my nose .
Nov 30, 2019
This was a great receipe for my first try at chicken noodle soup. I didnt follow the recipe exactly, but used it as a guide. I used chicken breast and dried spices instead of fresh. My family did not think it would taste good, but I showed them. The only complaint was that it wasn't spicy enough which I didn't mind because I don't have to have spicy food. I gave them the cyanne pepper and creole seasoning to add and they were satisfied. My husband even had a second bowl. The only thing I didn't have on hand was the Lemon juice, but it was good without it. Will definitely try again.
Oct 21, 2019
I made this just as written and it was really good. I'll definitely make it again.
Oct 17, 2019
Tried this recipe last night, my granddaughter loved it, so did I ! With this weather getting colder I'll certainly be making it a few times.
Oct 8, 2019
This was DELICIOUS. I salted the chicken thighs while I prepped the veg, which definitely paid off in extra delicate meat. I combined homemade stock with store-bought and was really happy with the result. It was still great without having had parsley or bay leaves to hand. Putting the noodles in after removing from heat cooked them to perfect consistency. The soup was tasty leftover but the noodles do get a bit mushy. Also doubled the garlic cloves!
Sep 17, 2019
This recipe sounds very good and I am looking forward to making it just as it is. Reading some of the other reviews can often be very telling about whether the reviewer works a full-time job or not by how labor intensive the recommended methods of creating the reviewer's opinion of "real or the best" chicken noodle soup. I'm with Joey, if you want REAL chicken noodle soup you should grow your own chicken and your own herbs and spices and start planning days ahead as some of the other food critics have suggested. Unfortunately, I work 10 hour days so I will be making it according to the recipe.
Sep 17, 2019
"Ultimate soup" must begin with a great homemade broth.
Sep 17, 2019
Can it use slow cooker for this soup ?
Sep 17, 2019
let stand, covered, until noodles are tender, 20-22 minutes? you mean don't keep on burner?