The Ultimate Chicken Noodle Soup
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 45 min. + standing
Makes10 servings (3-1/2 quarts)
- 2-1/2 pounds bone-in chicken thighs
- 1-1/4 teaspoons pepper, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 10 cups chicken broth
- 4 celery ribs, chopped
- 4 medium carrots, chopped
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh thyme or 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 3 cups uncooked kluski or other egg noodles (about 8 ounces)
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Pat chicken dry with paper towels; sprinkle with 1/2 teaspoon pepper and salt. In a 6-qt. stockpot, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add chicken in batches, skin side down; cook until dark golden brown, 3-4 minutes. Remove chicken from pan; remove and discard skin. Discard drippings, reserving 2 tablespoons.
- Add onion to drippings; cook and stir over medium-high heat until tender, 4-5 minutes. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Add broth, stirring to loosen browned bits from pan. Bring to a boil. Return chicken to pan. Add celery, carrots, bay leaves and thyme. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, until chicken is tender, 25-30 minutes.
- Transfer chicken to a plate. Remove soup from heat. Add noodles; let stand, covered, until noodles are tender, 20-22 minutes.
- Meanwhile, when chicken is cool enough to handle, remove meat from bones; discard bones. Shred meat into bite-size pieces. Return meat to stockpot. Stir in parsley and lemon juice. Adjust seasoning with salt and remaining 3/4 teaspoon pepper. Remove bay leaves.
Nutrition Facts1-1/3 cups: 239 calories, 12g fat (3g saturated fat), 68mg cholesterol, 1176mg sodium, 14g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 2g fiber), 18g protein.
May 15, 2018
Anyone can cook a soup using broth or stock. But real chicken soup is make from scratch using lots of chicken wings, and any other parts you want, celery, carrots, onions, garlic,water and cook slow and low for about 3- 3 1/2 hrs. adding more water is necessary.Cool, drain, toss all but broth and put in frig. for one -two days. Skim fat (the most important step). Add fresh cut carrots and celery. At this point you can add any shredded or cut up chicken and if desired egg noodles. Simmer about 20 in. Voila...delish.
Apr 29, 2018
Deliciuos!!!!! I used 6 cups of regular chicken broth, 6 cups of low sodium, and 1 of no sodium vegetable. 2 cloves of garlic. Small ring noodles. Besides that, nothing was changed. It's now my go to soup. Favorite!
Apr 16, 2018
Very good. I do however agree with Mark's review that the sodium level is WAY too high ! .But that can be fixed with some advanced planning. I save ALL chicken bones in the freezer. Plus I try to have AT LEAST 1 whole Roast Chicken dinner sometime before I make the soup. ( just to save those bones) Then simply put all bones ( NOTHING else is needed (cause your making bone broth, not stock) in a crock pot, with just enough water to completely cover the bones, plus 1 to 2 T apple cider (that draws out collegen from bones, but adds no vinegar taste at all) Cook on high for 1 to 2 hr then low for 10 hrs..Discard bones, cool .You will end up with a super gelatinous, nutritious, sodium free, bone broth. With very little extra work. Use this for a no sodium broth. Then, adjust salt taste a little at a time, using Kosher salt or Herbox NO Sodium packets or crystals. Add one to two more cloves of garlic to the stated recipe; and you have perfection.! ONLY other tweak is to put the bones of the the thighs back into the soup for entire cooking time, and remove just before serving..BTW, bone broth costs about $3.00 or so per quart to buy. Saving bones is almost free..(Google what bone broth does for your body especially for arthritis) Great recipe as is but greatly reduce the sodium.!! If you can find Lemon Thyme it is even better. Wall Mart and Lowes sells plants of Lemon Thyme in early spring. I plant it - - in 12 inch deep GOOD DRAINING pots in spring on my patio. AWSOME in chicken or any fish recipe)A good recipe, well deserving if 1st prize.
Apr 8, 2018
this soup was very good i tried it as is but for me it lacked just alittle flavor. i added more broth just because it is a very hearty soup and i added just a little goya sazon for flavor plus more chicken
Apr 6, 2018
Excellent!! Added chopped sweet red peppers...otherwise didn't change anything!
Mar 30, 2018
Mar 25, 2018
Good and easy. Kids loved and husband had seconds.
Mar 2, 2018
This really is THE Ultimate Chicken Soup recipe! Family enjoyed it very much. I followed the recipe exactly and t is sheer perfection!
Feb 27, 2018
Amazing soup! I cooked chicken breasts instead of thighs, and used Grandma's Egg Noodles from the freezer section. (today I found Grandma's noodle recipe on TOH so I will try that next time). LOVE LOVE LOVE
Feb 16, 2018
Spectacular! Made as written except with a combo of low sodium or unsalted broth and no lemon juice.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.