Hearty Chicken Barley Soup
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 1-1/2 hours
- 1 broiler/fryer chicken (3 pounds), cut up
- 2 quarts water
- 1-1/2 cups chopped carrots
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1/2 cup medium pearl barley
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried sage
- In a stock pot, cook chicken in water until tender. Remove chicken and set aside until cool enough to handle. Cool broth and skim off fat.
- Remove meat from bones; discard bones and cut meat into cubes; return to pot along with remaining ingredients. Cover and simmer for at least 1 hour or until vegetables and barley are tender. Remove bay leaf before serving.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 259 calories, 5g fat (0 saturated fat), 89mg cholesterol, 127mg sodium, 22g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 0 fiber), 31g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2-1/2 lean meat, 1 starch, 1 vegetable.
Oct 24, 2013
Jan 23, 2011
Broth was bland until I added chicken bouillon. Over all good soup.
Dec 7, 2009
This soup is absolutely delicious - great comfort food when it's cold or you're feeling under the weather. I love making big pots of soup for lunch during the workweek and have just added this to my favorites.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.