Hearty Chicken Barley Soup
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 1-1/2 hours
- 1 broiler/fryer chicken (3 pounds), cut up
- 2 quarts water
- 1-1/2 cups chopped carrots
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1/2 cup medium pearl barley
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried sage
- In a stock pot, cook chicken in water until tender. Remove chicken and set aside until cool enough to handle. Cool broth and skim off fat.
- Remove meat from bones; discard bones and cut meat into cubes; return to pot along with remaining ingredients. Cover and simmer for at least 1 hour or until vegetables and barley are tender. Remove bay leaf before serving.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 259 calories, 5g fat (0 saturated fat), 89mg cholesterol, 127mg sodium, 22g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 0 fiber), 31g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2-1/2 lean meat, 1 starch, 1 vegetable.
Oct 24, 2013
Jan 23, 2011
Broth was bland until I added chicken bouillon. Over all good soup.
Dec 7, 2009
This soup is absolutely delicious - great comfort food when it's cold or you're feeling under the weather. I love making big pots of soup for lunch during the workweek and have just added this to my favorites.