Southwestern Chicken Barley Soup
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 1 hour
Makes12 servings (3 quarts)
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 cups water
- 1 can (15-1/4 ounces) whole kernel corn, drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) chicken broth
- 1/2 cup medium pearl barley
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies, drained
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 3 cups cubed cooked chicken
- In a Dutch oven, saute onion and garlic in oil until tender. Add the water, corn, beans, tomato sauce, tomatoes, broth, barley, chilies, chili powder and cumin. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer after 45 minutes.
- Stir in chicken; cook, uncovered, 15 minutes longer or until chicken is heated through and barley is tender.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 187 calories, 4g fat (1g saturated fat), 31mg cholesterol, 582mg sodium, 21g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 5g fiber), 15g protein.
Jun 4, 2013
Very flavorful. I cut back a bit on the seasonings and chilis as my stomach has become sensitive to Mexican flavors. I left out the beans, cut back on the corn (used frozen). All in all, an excellent recipe and worth making again!
Oct 31, 2012
This is one of our favorite soups, been making it for years. I've served it to guests with rave reviews and recipe requests. So simple too. As a matter of fact I'm making it tonight for hubby to take on a hunting trip.I don't rinse and drain the beans; I figure there's just a little more fiber in there for us.
Mar 13, 2011
I loved it. I used frozen corn and a rotesire chicken.
Mar 6, 2011
It was zippy! Everyone in our fellowship liked this; I made a full pot and brought home one serving. However, it took me 3 hours to make it. I used frozen corn, cooked and tomatoes w/green chilies in addition to the tom. sauce and diced tomatoes. Also used chicken broth instead of the water.
Aug 11, 2009
My husband and I loved it. Healthy and yummy!
Jul 25, 2008
I modified this to do it in the crockpot, and it was divine! Excellent flavors and textures, and very healthy! This won raves from everyone in our houseehold!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.