Turkey and Vegetable Barley Soup
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
Makes6 servings (2 quarts)
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 5 medium carrots, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2/3 cup quick-cooking barley
- 6 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 cups cubed cooked turkey breast
- 2 cups fresh baby spinach
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- In a large saucepan, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add carrots and onion; cook and stir until carrots are crisp-tender, 4-5 minutes.
- Stir in barley and broth; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, until carrots and barley are tender, 10-15 minutes. Stir in turkey, spinach and pepper; heat through.
Nutrition Facts1-1/3 cups: 208 calories, 4g fat (1g saturated fat), 37mg cholesterol, 662mg sodium, 23g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 6g fiber), 21g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 lean meat, 1 starch, 1 vegetable, 1/2 fat.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Jan 1, 2018
I used homemade broth and added a can of diced tomatoes and a can of white beans. This is a quick and tasty soup perfect for a warming and hearty lunch.
Aug 19, 2017
Easy, tasty and healthy, something that you can feel good about eating. Great ingredient that you substitute with what you have, but I made as written except for using pearl barley that I made the day before. Dh & I declared this a keeper and will save it for Thanksgiving leftover turkey. Thanks Lisa, a real winner!
Apr 7, 2016
This was an easy and tasty soup to make! A great way to use up leftover turkey. Even my picky daughter liked it.
Dec 8, 2015
Great flavor! I doubled the batch and it was a great way to use up leftover turkey from Thanksgiving.
Nov 13, 2015
Very tasty and quick to make. I used leftover chicken, since I didn't have any turkey, but it was good. I also added a touch of minced garlic with the onions and carrots. Everyone liked it, and we'll be making it again! Perfect on a cool fall evening!
Oct 6, 2015
This was tasty soup. I used chicken breast & regular pearl barley instead. I didn't want to buy turkey and I don't really like the quick barley. Will make again with some added vegetables.