Vegetable Turkey Soup
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 1 hour
- 1 pound lean ground turkey
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 to 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) reduced-sodium beef broth
- 2-1/2 cups reduced-sodium tomato juice
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 3/4 cup frozen French-style green beans
- 1/2 cup sliced carrots
- 1-1/2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- In a Dutch oven coated with cooking spray, saute the turkey, celery and onion until meat is no longer pink. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Drain.
- Stir in remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1 hour or until vegetables are tender. Discard bay leaf. Soup may be frozen for up to 3 months.
Nutrition Facts1-1/2 cups: 272 calories, 10g fat (3g saturated fat), 94mg cholesterol, 783mg sodium, 20g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 5g fiber), 25g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2-1/2 lean meat, 1 starch, 1 vegetable, 1/2 fat.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Mar 1, 2018
I thought this was okay but not great. I did use ground beef in place of turkey and left out the mushrooms. Obviously, everyone else who reviewed it seemed it like it a lot, so I would recommend sticking with ground turkey if you’re going to try this recipe.
Feb 21, 2016
Healthy and fantastic!
Sep 27, 2015
Love this recipe. Was so simple. Had to change some things around. Used tomato soup ( out of tomato sauce),Didn't use mushrooms. Didn't sound good. Used frozen peas and carrots. Added little salt. Will make this again. Like the idea I could substitute items easily.
Jan 5, 2014
Also used V8, but made no other changes. This is good. Really good. And it's good for you too!
Nov 26, 2012
This is absolutely delicious! Used one other reviewer's suggestion and substituted V8 for the tomato juice, and I used vegetable broth instead of beef broth.
Oct 24, 2012
This has become my favorite soup. I didn't have tomato juice, so I used watered down tomato sauce--it was DELICIOUS! I also used brown sugar instead of regular. Easy and rewarding. Well, what are you waiting for? Try it for yourself!
Apr 26, 2012
I have made this recipe a couple of times. I used V8 juice as the base, and it was really good. It was a nice change from just a broth or creamy base. The extra lean ground turkey in it was delicious, and I liked the hunks of veggies. It hits the spot on a cold day!
Nov 30, 2010
I just used some leftover Turkey from Thanksgiving Day. I didn't drain the Diced Tomatoes. I like my soups with a little more broth. I used Italian Seasoning, instead of Basil. I added Parmesan Cheese. Next time I make it, I think I'll boil some Pasta and then add the soup to it. Very tasty soup. Quick, tasty and easy. How can you loose?
Dec 31, 2007
I've made this soup twice now, and both times it got rave reviews! Even my kids love it, and I love how easy it goes together.