Turkey Sausage Soup with Fresh Vegetables
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Cook: 6 hours
Makes10 servings (about 3-1/4 quarts)
- 1 package (19-1/2 ounces) Italian turkey sausage links, casings removed
- 3 large tomatoes, chopped
- 1 can (15 ounces) garbanzo beans or chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 3 medium carrots, thinly sliced
- 1-1/2 cups cut fresh green beans (1-inch pieces)
- 1 medium zucchini, quartered lengthwise and sliced
- 1 large sweet red or green pepper, chopped
- 8 green onions, chopped
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 1 can (12 ounces) tomato paste
- 1/2 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 1/3 cup minced fresh basil
- In a large skillet, cook sausage over medium heat 8-10 minutes or until no longer pink, breaking into crumbles; drain and transfer to a 6-qt. slow cooker.
- Add tomatoes, beans, carrots, green beans, zucchini, pepper and green onions. In a large bowl, whisk stock, tomato paste and seasoned salt; pour over vegetables.
- Cook, covered, on low 6-8 hours or until vegetables are tender. Just before serving, stir in basil.
Freeze option: Freeze cooled soup in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through in a saucepan, stirring occasionally; add stock if necessary.
Nutrition Facts1-1/3 cups: 167 calories, 5g fat (1g saturated fat), 20mg cholesterol, 604mg sodium, 21g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 5g fiber), 13g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 lean meat, 2 vegetable, 1/2 starch.
Feb 13, 2018
Really good. I hardly ever change anything the first time but I did this time because... I do not like zucchini in soups so I substituted red potatoes, substituted Italian green beans for green beans because I prefer Italian green beans. I only used 6 oz. of tomato paste instead of 12. Used 1 15 oz. can of petite tomatoes instead of 3 fresh and yellow onion in place of green onions, dried basil in place of fresh because that was what I had. Soup was really good and I don't think my changes were that big a deal. I will definitely be making this again.
Dec 12, 2017
Followed the recipe exactly. It was a big hit with everyone and I will most certainly make it again.
Apr 4, 2017
Lots of options to change up with whatever veggies your family likes. Very tasty but light soup.
Mar 17, 2017
What a nice, light , yet warming soup! I used smoked turkey sausage instead of the Italian and did not have the seasoned salt or basil ...... the soup was very good with loads of flavor. I will use the Italian sausage the next time I make it ..... I'm sure it will be just as tasty!!