Turkey Sausage, Butternut Squash & Kale Soup
Kale and butternut squash are two of my favorite fall veggies. This low-fat soup combines them. If you love sweet potatoes, sub them for the squash. —Laura Koch, Lincoln, Nebraska
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 30 min.
Makes10 servings (2-1/2 quarts)
- 1 package (19-1/2 ounces) Italian turkey sausage links, casings removed
- 1 medium butternut squash (about 3 pounds), peeled and cubed
- 2 cartons (32 ounces each) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 bunch kale, trimmed and coarsely chopped (about 16 cups)
- 1/2 cup shaved Parmesan cheese
- In a stockpot, cook sausage over medium heat until no longer pink, breaking into crumbles, 8-10 minutes.
- Add squash and broth; bring to a boil. Gradually stir in kale, allowing it to wilt slightly between additions. Return to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, until vegetables are tender, 15-20 minutes. Top servings with cheese.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 163 calories, 5g fat (2g saturated fat), 23mg cholesterol, 838mg sodium, 20g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 5g fiber), 13g protein.
Originally published as Turkey Sausage, Butternut Squash, and Kale Soup in Taste of Home September/October 2014