Butternut Turkey Soup
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Cook: 35 min.
Makes6 servings (2 quarts)
- 3 shallots, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 3 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 3 cups cubed peeled butternut squash (3/4-inch cubes)
- 2 medium red potatoes, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 whole cloves
- 3 cups cubed cooked turkey breast
- In a large saucepan coated with cooking spray, cook shallots in oil over medium heat until tender. Stir in the broth, squash, potatoes, water, thyme and pepper.
- Place cloves on a double thickness of cheesecloth; bring up corners of cloth and tie with string to form a bag. Stir into soup. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10-15 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Stir in turkey; heat through. Discard spice bag.
Nutrition Facts1-1/3 cups: 192 calories, 2g fat (0 saturated fat), 60mg cholesterol, 332mg sodium, 20g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 3g fiber), 25g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 1 starch.
Nov 27, 2011
Blah. No flavor. Had to use lots of salt and pepper at the table.
Oct 13, 2011
Excellent flavor. I subbed reg onions for the shallots, powdered cloves (mixed in w/onions) and fz tky meatballs for the meat. Was able to prep vegetables beforehand to save time. Flavor was outstanding and it's easy to make!