Butternut Turkey Soup
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Cook: 35 min.
Makes6 servings (2 quarts)
- 3 shallots, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 3 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 3 cups cubed peeled butternut squash (3/4-inch cubes)
- 2 medium red potatoes, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 whole cloves
- 3 cups cubed cooked turkey breast
- In a large saucepan coated with cooking spray, cook shallots in oil over medium heat until tender. Stir in the broth, squash, potatoes, water, thyme and pepper.
- Place cloves on a double thickness of cheesecloth; bring up corners of cloth and tie with string to form a bag. Stir into soup. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10-15 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Stir in turkey; heat through. Discard spice bag.
Nutrition Facts1-1/3 cups: 192 calories, 2g fat (0 saturated fat), 60mg cholesterol, 332mg sodium, 20g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 3g fiber), 25g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 1 starch.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Nov 27, 2011
Blah. No flavor. Had to use lots of salt and pepper at the table.
Oct 13, 2011
Excellent flavor. I subbed reg onions for the shallots, powdered cloves (mixed in w/onions) and fz tky meatballs for the meat. Was able to prep vegetables beforehand to save time. Flavor was outstanding and it's easy to make!