Tomato Turkey Soup
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Cook: 1-3/4 hours
- 6 cups chicken or turkey broth
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1/3 cup quick-cooking barley
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley flakes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups cubed cooked turkey
- 1-1/2 cups sliced carrots
- 1-1/2 cups sliced celery
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen chopped okra
- In a large saucepan, combine the first nine ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 50 minutes. Add turkey and vegetables. Cover and simmer 50 minutes longer or until vegetables are tender.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 85 calories, 2g fat (0 saturated fat), 14mg cholesterol, 714mg sodium, 11g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 3g fiber), 5g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 1/2 starch, 1/2 meat.
Nov 30, 2015
I have been making this soup for years, still my favorite way to use leftover turkey.
Nov 26, 2010
This is, by far, the best way to use left over turkey. My husband buys an extra large turkey to be sure there is some left so I can make this soup. I leave out the barley and the okra because I don't have it on hand. WONDERFUL!