Homemade Turkey Soup
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Cook: 2 hours 35 min.
Makes10 servings (about 2-1/2 quarts)
- 1 leftover turkey carcass (from a 10- to 12-pound turkey)
- 2 quarts water
- 1 medium onion, cut into wedges
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- 1 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 1/3 cup chopped celery
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1 can (10-1/2 ounces) condensed cream of chicken or cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
- Place the turkey carcass in a stockpot; add the water, onion, salt and bay leaves. Slowly bring to a boil over low heat; cover and simmer for 2 hours.
- Remove carcass; cool. Strain broth and skim fat. Discard onion and bay leaves. Return broth to the pan. Add the carrots, rice, celery and chopped onion; cover and simmer until rice and vegetables are tender.
- Remove turkey from bones; discard bones and cut turkey into bite-size pieces. Add turkey and cream soup to broth; heat through.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 128 calories, 2g fat (1g saturated fat), 3mg cholesterol, 391mg sodium, 21g carbohydrate (1g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Jan 14, 2018
This was excellent I made it tonight I added a little half-and-half at the end and some corn starch
Jan 9, 2018
Used leftover holiday turkey carcass to make this and it was very easy and delicious! I left the onions in the broth for extra flavor. I think the basic recipe and subing egg noodles would be very good also.
Jan 7, 2018
This was good but it needed additional seasonings, ie poultry seasoning, seasoned salt, pepper. I also added more rice than the recipe called for. Will make again.
Dec 20, 2017
I prepared this soup tonight and it is a five-star winner. I followed the recipe except I substituted noodles for the rice as several reviewers did. I used the healthy cream of chicken soup as well. Both hubby and I loved the soup and will have it again.Volunteer Field Editor
Oct 10, 2017
I would really like to make it tonight, but a quick question - We are talking about already baked in the oven for the thanksgiving dinner turkey carcass - not raw bones and meat leftover from some other turkey dish, right?
Jan 20, 2016
Great, easy recipes. Although I did choose to alter certain things like using some fat free half and half and a few tablespoons of flour instead of the soup, I appreciate your recipe! Thank you to those who kindly posted their substitutions for their own reasons and didn't blast the poster. Kindness goes a long way.
Jan 2, 2016
My whole family loved this soup. I used egg noodles instead of rice (I added them at the end of the cooking process). What a great way to use the turkey carcass after Thanksgiving or Christmas.
Dec 5, 2015
Delicious! Easy to make. I left the onions in the broth instead of straining them out and then adding more.. My family love it!
Nov 29, 2015
You couldn't pay me to use canned soup in any dish. I had leftover gravy, that was all the creaminess it needed!
Nov 27, 2015
I made this today and it turned out great. What a great idea to use the leftover turkey carcass. I added poultry seasoning, garlic and I had some leftover canned corn, which I drained and added to the soup. I would make this again! I thought the cream of chicken soup added a nice creaminess to the soup.