- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 2 medium carrots, halved and thinly sliced
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped sweet red pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 cups water
- 1 can (10 ounces) diced tomatoes and green chilies, undrained
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- 1 bay leaf
- 4 teaspoons sodium-free chicken bouillon granules
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon hot pepper sauce, optional
- 1/2 cup uncooked whole wheat orzo pasta
- 2 cups cubed cooked turkey breast
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh cilantro
- In a large saucepan, saute the onions, carrots, celery and red pepper in oil until tender. Add garlic; cook 2 minutes longer. Stir in the water, tomatoes, peas, bay leaf, bouillon, basil, thyme, cumin, pepper and, if desired, pepper sauce. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook orzo according to package directions; drain. Stir orzo and turkey into soup; heat through. Discard bay leaf. Sprinkle with cilantro.
Freeze option: Freeze cooled soup in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through in a saucepan, stirring occasionally and adding a little broth, water or milk if necessary.
1-1/2 cups: 191 calories, 3g fat (1g saturated fat), 40mg cholesterol, 257mg sodium, 22g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 5g fiber), 18g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 lean meat, 1 starch, 1 vegetable, 1/2 fat.