Skinny Turkey-Vegetable Soup
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Cook: 35 min.
Makes6 servings (2-1/4 quarts)
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 2 medium carrots, halved and thinly sliced
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped sweet red pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 cups water
- 1 can (10 ounces) diced tomatoes and green chilies, undrained
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- 1 bay leaf
- 4 teaspoons sodium-free chicken bouillon granules
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon hot pepper sauce, optional
- 1/2 cup uncooked whole wheat orzo pasta
- 2 cups cubed cooked turkey breast
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh cilantro
- In a large saucepan, saute the onions, carrots, celery and red pepper in oil until tender. Add garlic; cook 2 minutes longer. Stir in the water, tomatoes, peas, bay leaf, bouillon, basil, thyme, cumin, pepper and, if desired, pepper sauce. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook orzo according to package directions; drain. Stir orzo and turkey into soup; heat through. Discard bay leaf. Sprinkle with cilantro.
Freeze option: Freeze cooled soup in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through in a saucepan, stirring occasionally and adding a little broth, water or milk if necessary.
Nutrition Facts1-1/2 cups: 191 calories, 3g fat (1g saturated fat), 40mg cholesterol, 257mg sodium, 22g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 5g fiber), 18g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 lean meat, 1 starch, 1 vegetable, 1/2 fat.
Dec 16, 2015
Really awesome soup, I've been making for years! Can use chicken breast or turkey. I leave out the hot sauce and the cilantro, and it still has a nice little kick to it.
Feb 24, 2015
This was super tasty and had a nice kick to it. I added an extra 1/2 cup of water and cooked the orzo in the soup. Will definitely be making again.
Jul 12, 2014
Very good soup. I added sweet potato to it.
Jan 22, 2013
My family said this was the best Turkey Soup they have ever had, I agree!
Aug 10, 2012
NOW A GO-TO FOR US....We call it "the best soup ever!!"
Feb 21, 2012
very good! I substitute pot barley or quinoa for the orzo for added whole grains
Dec 15, 2011
So good Easy to sub in chicken as well. Great flavor, a hint of spice is a great addition.
Nov 27, 2011
Delicious!! Very hearty, excellent flavor. Made this for a family gathering and everyone loved it! Definitely going in my recipe collection!!
Nov 11, 2011
My whole family LOVED this soup. Delicious! Will be placing this in my recipe book for use again!
Oct 24, 2011
yum...simmering on the stove right now. I can't wait for dinner. The broth is delicous. I left the peas out in hopes my teenager will eat it too!