Lemony Turkey Rice Soup
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
Makes8 servings (2 quarts)
- 2 cups diced cooked turkey
- 2 cups cooked long grain rice
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of chicken soup, undiluted
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 6 cups chicken broth, divided
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/4 to 1/3 cup lemon juice
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup minced fresh cilantro
- In a large saucepan, combine first four ingredients and 5-1/2 cups broth. Bring to a boil; cook 3 minutes.
- In a small bowl, mix cornstarch and remaining broth until smooth; gradually stir into soup. Bring to a boil; cook and stir until thickened, 1-2 minutes. Remove from heat; stir in lemon juice and cilantro.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 166 calories, 4g fat (1g saturated fat), 42mg cholesterol, 1047mg sodium, 17g carbohydrate (1g sugars, 1g fiber), 13g protein.
Dec 26, 2014
Really, souper easy! Since I used barley instead of rice, I made the following changes:Mix chicken broth, soup and barley. Cook until barley is tender - about 1 hour. Added leftover cubed turkey. Squeeze in the juice of one lemon. Also, I added the lemon zest, which I removed with a potato peeler in strips. The peel will cook away any bitterness in the pith and when you bite into it, you'll get a lovely burst of lemon.Instead of corn starch (which only thickens until your saliva enzymes on your spoon render the soup thin again), I made about 1/4 c. roux with butter, flour and chicken stock in a pan which I had caramelized onions for another recipe.I simmered this until it was nice and thick and topped with cilantro, because I love cilantro! My soup was thick, hearty and full of flavor! Delicious! I can't wait to see how the flavors develop tomorrow!
Aug 26, 2014
Delicious and so easy. The change I made was using uncooked chicken instead of cooked turkey. I cubed the chicken and cooked it right in the broth. Also added a pint container of cooked rice leftover from a restaurant meal the day before; we like the flavor of lemon in soup, so I added 1/3 cup lemon juice. The cilantro gave it a nice additional layer of flavor.
Dec 3, 2013
So unusual and so tasty as written! A true comfort food!
Dec 2, 2013
Super post Thanksgiving meal!
Jan 31, 2013
I love how easy this to make with leftovers!
Oct 6, 2012
I use leftover chicken in this recipe and my family loves it.
Jan 2, 2012
Very quick and tasty, I didn't add the cilantro and used more lemon juice. This will be a regular soup during the week in our cold winter months.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.