Lemony Chicken & Rice
Total TimePrep: 15 min. + marinating Bake: 55 min.
Makes2 casseroles (4 servings each)
- 2 cups water
- 1/2 cup reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 2 teaspoons pepper
- 16 bone-in chicken thighs, skin removed (about 6 pounds)
- 2 cups uncooked long grain rice
- 4 tablespoons grated lemon zest, divided
- 2 medium lemons, sliced
- In a large shallow dish, combine the first 7 ingredients. Add chicken; turn to coat and cover. Refrigerate 4 hours or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 325°. Spread 1 cup rice into each of 2 greased 13x9-in. baking dishes. Top each with 1 tablespoon lemon zest, 8 chicken thighs and half of the marinade. Top with sliced lemons.
- Bake, covered, 40 minutes. Bake, uncovered, until a thermometer inserted in chicken reads 170°-175°, 15-20 minutes longer. Sprinkle with remaining lemon zest.
Nutrition Facts2 chicken thighs with 3/4 cup rice mixture: 624 calories, 26g fat (6g saturated fat), 173mg cholesterol, 754mg sodium, 41g carbohydrate (1g sugars, 1g fiber), 53g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
May 14, 2019
Not visually appealing - sorry.
Mar 27, 2019
Normally I don't rate a recipe before I make it, but this looks horrible. I am a visual eater. If it doesn't have eye appeal, I can't eat it. The chicken looks pale and un cooked. It blends in with the color of the rice. Nothing stands out. No visual"Pop". Doesn't "say" "make me.?
Jun 2, 2018
Would make this again. i was wary of cooking rice with chicken, so I cooked it separately.
Jun 1, 2016
Sad to say, I wasn't happy with this recipe. The rice definitely needed more liquid and the whole dish needed more salt.
Apr 14, 2016
I used long grain rice and rice did not get cooked all the way. Loved the taste but will use parboiled rice next time.
Mar 11, 2016
I used boneless chicken breast and cut the recipe in 1/2 for my smaller family . Very tasty!!
Feb 20, 2014
A real hit with mu family, will make it again for sure!