Lemon Chicken & Rice Soup
Total TimePrep: 35 min. Cook: 4-1/4 hours
Makes12 servings (4 quarts)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 5 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 8 cups coarsely chopped Swiss chard, kale or spinach
- 2 large carrots, finely chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 medium lemon, halved and thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 4 teaspoons grated lemon zest
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 4 cups cooked brown rice
- In a large skillet, heat 1 tablespoon oil over medium-high heat. Add half of the chicken; cook and stir until browned. Transfer to a 6-qt. slow cooker. Repeat with remaining oil and chicken.
- Stir broth, vegetables, lemon slices, lemon juice, zest and pepper into chicken. Cook, covered, on low until chicken is tender, 4-5 hours. Stir in rice; heat through.
Nutrition Facts1-1/3 cups: 203 calories, 5g fat (1g saturated fat), 42mg cholesterol, 612mg sodium, 20g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 2g fiber), 20g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 lean meat, 1 starch, 1 vegetable, 1/2 fat.
Apr 30, 2019
My family loves this recipe. Have made it a few times and have also shared the recipe with co-workers.
Sep 5, 2016
My family loves this soup. I added 1/2 tsp. salt and used 6 cups of chicken broth and 4 cups of water. I used kale and will continue to...I don't think spinach would hold up well enough and the kale added great texture. I wash my lemons thoroughly and didn't notice any bitterness. The lemon was a great flavor, not too much at all if you like lemon. I also didn't add the rice to the full pot of soup, but instead added it to each dish before ladling the soup on top. I plan to freeze some of the leftovers and thought it would reheat better this way.
Jan 25, 2016
This soup is VERY lemony! It was good, but if I make it again I will omit the thinly sliced lemon.
Oct 18, 2014
Soup was bitter. It had no favor. I would not make it again. To much rice in the recipe.
Jul 8, 2014
Loved this recipe!
Mar 23, 2014
This was extremely too bitter for my tastes. I suggest using a quarter of the sliced lemon or maybe none at all.
Mar 12, 2014
This was pretty good, extremely lemony and a bit sour if you like that. I used orzo instead of rice, for speed of preparation. Kind of a refreshingly sour, bright taste. We didn't rave about it, but if I had lots of lemons on hand I would probably make it again.
Feb 27, 2014
After being sick for almost two month I decided to make this. I used preserved lemons instead and orzo. It was delish !!!!!!
Feb 25, 2014
Feb 22, 2014
Yum! This soup was fabulous. Love the lemon kick to it. This is my new favorite chicken soup. I actually like it a lot better with rice than with noodles. My family loved it.