Garden Vegetable & Herb Soup
I submitted this recipe to a local newspaper and won first prize. I make this hearty soup whenever my family needs a good dose of veggies. —Jody Saulnier, Woodstock, New Hampshire
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 30 min.
Makes8 servings (2 quarts)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 2 large carrots, sliced
- 1 pound red potatoes (about 3 medium), cubed
- 2 cups water
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes in sauce
- 1-1/2 cups vegetable broth
- 1-1/2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon dill weed
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 medium yellow summer squash, halved and sliced
- 1 medium zucchini, halved and sliced
- In a large saucepan, heat oil over medium heat. Add onions and carrots; cook and stir until onions are tender, 4-6 minutes. Add potatoes and cook 2 minutes. Stir in water, tomatoes, broth and seasonings. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 12-15 minutes or until potatoes and carrots are tender.
- Add yellow squash and zucchini; cook 8-10 minutes longer or until tender. Serve or, if desired, puree mixture in batches, adding additional broth until desired consistency is achieved.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 115 calories, 4g fat (1g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 525mg sodium, 19g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 3g fiber), 2g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 1 fat, 1/2 starch.
Originally published as Harvest Vegetable Soup in Healthy Cooking Annual Recipes 2016
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.